Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Watermelon (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8328)

runwithme 12-23-2011 04:35 PM

Watermelon

I had a doctors apt. yesterday and my doc told me that watermelon was the worst fruit for me to eat. Said it had the most calories in it and that a small slice (1/16 of a pie) had 150 calories in it. I was shocked. How can this be?

Off Road 12-23-2011 05:14 PM

I wish doctors would stick to medicine and leave the diet stuff alone.

angie828 12-24-2011 09:12 AM

Wow I do not believe that can be possible.

bruteforce 12-24-2011 12:34 PM

10 ounces gives around 90 calories according to this source.

Watermelon has been bred to be stupidly sweet, much like how grains have had most of the decent nutrition bred out of them in favor of yield and resistance. So yes, a lot of sugar, but not nearly as much as Doc thinks.

5kgLifter 12-24-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runwithme (Post 200692)
I had a doctors apt. yesterday and my doc told me that watermelon was the worst fruit for me to eat. Said it had the most calories in it and that a small slice (1/16 of a pie) had 150 calories in it. I was shocked. How can this be?

Watermelon as the term implies, is generally high in water, unlike Galileo melons and other varieties. You can listen to the doctor or you can use your own common sense, which do you really think is better for you, watermelon which is a fruit, pure and simple OR pie which has trans fats, sugar, flour....? :chow:

wannebe91 12-26-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 200862)
Watermelon as the term implies, is generally high in water, unlike Galileo melons and other varieties. You can listen to the doctor or you can use your own common sense, which do you really think is better for you, watermelon which is a fruit, pure and simple OR pie which has trans fats, sugar, flour....? :chow:

I do not understand where you are getting pie from. I believe she said that the serving size was 1/16 of a pie. Not actually eating a piece of pie.

5kgLifter 12-26-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannebe91 (Post 201178)
I do not understand where you are getting pie from. I believe she said that the serving size was 1/16 of a pie. Not actually eating a piece of pie.

Well, to say that fruit is worse than a piece of pie for someone, sort of suggests that it's better to just eat the pie; the doc could have compared it to a different fruit instead but didn't...and people do tend to take words at face value and many would just go eat the pie, even if it was only because a doc had stated that pie had less calories in.

I remember one doc telling someone that fruit is good for them, which was interpreted by the patient as "I can eat as much of this fruit as I want" (cherries, grapes by the punnet loads) and they were diabetic; a completely wrong interpretation based on the doc's words.

seth78 12-29-2011 04:16 PM

I do not agree with this doc. I mean watermelon is made from water. It could not have that many calories in it for such a small serving.

runwithme 12-29-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 200862)

Sorry let me clear that up for you. My doc meant a piece of watermelon that was 1/16th of a pie. So basically the size of watermelon you are eating is the same size as a slice of pie. She did not mean eating a piece of pie was better for you.
I thought that watermelon would be good for you since it has a high water content.