Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Low Carb & Paleo Diet (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Paleo Family Experiment (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8029)

BendtheBar 11-26-2011 10:49 AM

Paleo Family Experiment

My wife and I are going to run Paleo for 2 weeks as an experiment and serve meals that are Paleo variations of popular meals.

I am going to detail what we eat in this thread just for fun.

Today we are started with chicken fingers crusted in almond flour, along with cauliflower mashed "potatoes".

Off Road 11-26-2011 11:16 AM

Are you including the kids?

BendtheBar 11-26-2011 11:29 AM

They will be trying the main dishes. We are going to try Paleo pizza, lasagna with squash, beef stroganoff with zucchini strips. They are willing to try a few new things.

bruteforce 11-27-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 192156)
My wife and I are going to run Paleo for 2 weeks as an experiment and serve meals that are Paleo variations of popular meals.

I am going to detail what we eat in this thread just for fun.

Today we are started with chicken fingers crusted in almond flour, along with cauliflower mashed "potatoes".

Cauli mashed potatoes are great. Try adding 1/2 cup or so of sharp white cheddar to them some time for a different flavor.

BendtheBar 11-27-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruteforce (Post 192506)
Cauli mashed potatoes are great. Try adding 1/2 cup or so of sharp white cheddar to them some time for a different flavor.

Thanks. We are making this tonight. Can't wait to see what the kids think.

Fazc 11-27-2011 05:02 PM

Sounds good Btb, should be good for a few new ideas.

BendtheBar 11-27-2011 06:43 PM

November 27th, 2011

Almond crusted chicken fingers and cauliflower mash.

Grade: A

This meal went over very well. We all loved it. My 7 year old destroyed 3 pieces of chicken and my 12 year old said, "wow, this is really good." They even loved the cauliflower mash.

Important notes: The almond crusted chicken must be seasoned properly. Add salt, pepper and other seasonings to your almond flour.

You also want to pan fry the chicken until the crust is a dark brown. It tastes really good when the crust is dark and rich.

It is best to puree the cauliflower, as mashing it will leave lumps. A smooth texture makes this more pleasing.

Almond Crusted Chicken

--Place your almond flour in a bowl and season with salt, pepper and any other seasonings you enjoy.
--In a second bowl, whisk 3 eggs.

Place a 1/4 to 1/8 inch on olive oil in a frying pan. You want this very hot, so the chicken sizzles when it hits the pan.

Coat the chicken fingers in almond flour, then egg, the a second time in the almond flour. Drop in the pan and cook for several minutes on both sides. the point is to achieve a golden brown batter color, and not to cook the chicken completely through.

Have your over preheated to 350. Remove seared chicken and place into a baking pan. Back for about 15 minutes. If you are cooking thicker pieces of chicken you may need to cook it longer.

Pull from the over and allow the chicken to rest for several minutes before cutting.

Cauliflower Mash

Boil 2 bags of frozen cauliflower (or one fresh head) until very soft. Drain excess water. Add a huge dollop of sour cream and 1/4 stick of butter. Also add salt, pepper, garlic and chives to taste. Mash or puree until creamy.

Add 1 cup of your favorite cheese, mix well and serve.

bamazav 11-28-2011 08:16 AM

Sounds delicious. May have to try this out on my family. Looks like I have a reason to go to Trader Joes now.

BendtheBar 12-01-2011 07:05 PM

Zucchini Beef Stroganoff

Main ingredients: Sirloin steak and zucchini.

Grade: A+

Wow this tasted awesome. Kids loved it. We ate everything.

Ingredients

* 1.5 pounds London broil or sirloin steak cut into small strips
* Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
* 1/2 TBS Garlic Powder & Onion Powder
* Black Pepper & Salt
* One Cups Beef Broth + 1.5 Cups Sour Cream
* 3-5 Large Zucchini, sliced lengthwise (to mimic noodles)
* 1 Med. Onion, sliced
* 1 C Mushrooms, sliced
* 1/4 to 1/3rd Cup Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
* 1/2 TBS Fresh Lemon Juice

Place olive oil in pan. Add beef and season with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. When beef is half cooked, add in chopped onions. Cook until beef is done.

Place beef broth in pan along with zucchini. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add in Dijon mustard, mushrooms, lemon juice and sour cream. Simmer for 5 more minutes.

Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Notes: Easy a potato peeler on the zucchini. The strips will turn out perfect and look like noodles. Don't be afraid to use a lot of zucchini. It "hides" well in the dish and you will probably want a little more rather than a little less.

The zucchini is tasteless, so your kids will think it's noodles. Make sure when peeling the zucchini that you remove ALL green skin and peel down to the white. Any green skin may be bitter upon cooking.

Taste, taste, taste. You may need to add more Dijon and salt at the end. Add a little, taste, rinse and repeat. Seasoned perfectly with enough Dijon and your family will scream for more.

This recipe served 2 adults and 2 children.