Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Rear Delts (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7726)

5kgLifter 10-27-2011 06:15 PM

Rear Delts

I've put this here because it seems like the right place to ask the question.

All input will be appreciated, however the only equipment available is: barbell, dumbbells, kettlebells...so answers based around those pieces of equipment will be much more helpful.

I could use the gym but it won't be a good long-term option.

I want to get the rear delts up a bit and would like some advice on decent exercises for them; pull-ups/chins are out due to the TOS and upperbody strength and grip (TOS related; Thoracic Outlet Syndrome).

Bent Over Lateral Raises is about the only exercise I can think of that directly targets them...can people advice on any other exercises that I might be able to incorporate and even a recommended ratio of the exercise in relation to presses and so forth which are using the front delts etc. Please feel free to advise on how deadlifts and other such exercises may or may not target the rear delts; it will all be helpful to other readers, nothing is too trivial.

Thanks guys.

austin.j.taylor 10-27-2011 06:20 PM

one arm rows are a great way to hit the rear delts. Also if you got a cable, which i didnt see if you did, facepulls are awesome.

5kgLifter 10-27-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor (Post 184286)
one arm rows are a great way to hit the rear delts. Also if you got a cable, which i didnt see if you did, facepulls are awesome.

No cables for facepulls :( any other way to replicate those, I've heard they seem to do the job really well.

One arm rows, :rockon: I'll make sure I get those incorporated; they will be easier than bent over raises which just seem, well, awkward, for me anyway and I can't seem to get a decent amount of weight on them.

Soldier 10-27-2011 06:24 PM

I don't train front or rear dealts directly. I find that when I work back, chest, and shoulders those two little guys get plenty of work.

A good replacement for face pulls is bent over rows to the chest. If you stand up slightly taller compared to a full bent over row then you'll hit the rear delts and upper back really well. That one is also good for full trap development, instead of wasting time on shrugs that only hit the upper traps.

5kgLifter 10-27-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 184288)
I don't train front or rear dealts directly. I find that when I work back, chest, and shoulders those two little guys get plenty of work.

A good replacement for face pulls is bent over rows to the chest. If you stand up slightly taller compared to a full bent over row then you'll hit the rear delts and upper back really well. That one is also good for full trap development, instead of wasting time on shrugs that only hit the upper traps.

Many thanks :rockon:

Fazc 10-27-2011 06:33 PM

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/gen...tml#post182539

The one I wrote about here works well. I'm also loving Band Pull Aparts at the moment.

Off Road 10-27-2011 06:35 PM

Definitely Rows. Or you could get some bands to do face pulls.
I like rear laterals, but if they don't fit you then it's not worth the effort really.

5kgLifter 10-27-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 184292)

Haven't seen that one before, many thanks Fazc, I may be able to rig something up.

5kgLifter 10-27-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 184293)
Definitely Rows. Or you could get some bands to do face pulls.
I like rear laterals, but if they don't fit you then it's not worth the effort really.

Bands don't really work so well for me, I've tried them before; they just seem to cut into the hands and I'm liable to damage the house :D

Rows, check :rockon:

Pull14 10-27-2011 06:46 PM

Rear delts will really come into place with any type of horizontal pulling. To get them a little more involved flare your elbows to the side with rowing lifts (barbell/db). My personal favorite is a snatched grip barbell row, pulled towards upper chest/collar bone with elbows flared. If I'm targeting the r. delts specifically I'll pull my shoulder blades together which will take a little bit away from the rest of the upper back.

Others... rear delt swings; same as the rear delt raise/bent over lat raises but use some body language and momentum to get the weight up -- use heavier weight for pretty high reps.

In a programming/ratio sense, keep upper body pulling volume about the same or a bit higher than pressing volume. Bang for your buck type stuff could involve flaring the elbows a bit more on the pulling. At the end of the training session add in 3-5 high repped sets of rear delt work 2-3 times a week.

Stuff like deads certainly do pull in the rear delts, but not the extent of training them directly or performing a lift (rows) with an emphasis on the rear delts/upper back. Snatches and cleans also will work them quite a bit, but if its a weak area, they will still need to be trained.