Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Got My Strength Base Now what? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7714)

music50 10-26-2011 04:44 PM

Got My Strength Base Now what?

Wassup guys,

New on these forums. A little about me: Age 24 (just about) weight around 180, benching 285, squatting 390 and deadlifting 480..

I did strength routines up until this point. Starting strength, then hit Iron Addicts SPBR, and then messed around a little with Bill Starr's 5x5 (which is great for size I don't know why everyone just says its a strength routine but thats not here or there)

Anyway, I've stalled on Iron Addicts SPBR and now I need a new way to train. I'm really looking to train for my phsique as size is my main goal right now. I want to look bigger. I workout at home though (power rack and a bunch of other things) so I'm not going to be able to do a program like DC. I was looking for some advice as to where I can move my training now, what can I do now that i've gotten my strength base. I'm also not looking to do 5/3/1 as I'm not a fan of those low reps..

ANy help would be much appreciated!

Off Road 10-26-2011 05:04 PM

No doubt, the HCT-12 Routine would be perfect for a guy in your situation.
Click Here for HCT-12 Routine

music50 10-26-2011 05:08 PM

Thanks Offroad.. But i'm not really so sure about this routine and setting it up. Would you or anyone else have anyone other possibly recommendatiions other than that?

BendtheBar 10-26-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by music50 (Post 183937)
Thanks Offroad.. But i'm not really so sure about this routine and setting it up. Would you or anyone else have anyone other possibly recommendatiions other than that?

I created a rest pause workout specifically for muscle building that doesn't require training to failure if interested. It can be used with pretty much any split variation.

music50 10-26-2011 06:04 PM

Ah, thanks but im also not too big on the whole rest pause thing- I appreciate that though,, Hope im not running out of options now lol!

ANy other possible thoughts/ideas?>

music50 10-26-2011 06:11 PM

An idea I had was to try a split.. Found this split from a mod of ironaddicts.com, and modified it a bit.. What do you guys think of this? And feel free to hit me with new ideas for a routine also PLZ!--My only concern with this is its not enough chest volume..

Monday:
Squats 2 x 5
DB Lunges 2x10
Stiff Leg deads 3x10
Pull throughs 3x10
Calves (your choice of exercise if you like) 2 x 10

Tuesday:
Wide grip flat bench 3 x 6 (index fingers on the rings)
hammer grip dbs 2 x 8-12 reps
Incline flys - 2x8-10
tricep push downs 1-2 x 8-10 reps
db side laterals 1-2 x 10reps light
db front raises 1-2 x 10reps light
pull-a-parts 1-2 x 20reps

Thursday:
Dead lifts 2 x 5
Bent Over Barbell Rows 3x8-10
Chin Ups 2-3 x to failure
Reverse grip narrow grip pull downs 2 x 8reps
Standing wide grip curls 2 x 8-12 reps (or your favorite curl here)
hammer curls or reverse curls 2 x 8-12reps

Off Road 10-26-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 183941)
I created a rest pause workout specifically for muscle building that doesn't require training to failure if interested. It can be used with pretty much any split variation.

I'd be interested in hearing about it.

BendtheBar 10-26-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by music50 (Post 183953)

Tuesday:
Wide grip flat bench 3 x 6 (index fingers on the rings)
hammer grip dbs 2 x 8-12 reps
Incline flys - 2x8-10
tricep push downs 1-2 x 8-10 reps
db side laterals 1-2 x 10reps light
db front raises 1-2 x 10reps light
pull-a-parts 1-2 x 20reps

The front delts get hit rather hard during bench style movements. I would drop front raises and add an overhead press in. You need to keep a good balance between flat pressing, overhead pressing and pulling/back.

My only other concern is that the volume for certain major bodyparts might be on the low side. For example:

--Quads: 4 sets
--Chest: 5 sets
--Shoulders: No compound work

BendtheBar 10-26-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 183956)
I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I will post a bit about it.

Edit: Here it is:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/bod...tml#post183961

music50 10-26-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 183957)
The front delts get hit rather hard during bench style movements. I would drop front raises and add an overhead press in. You need to keep a good balance between flat pressing, overhead pressing and pulling/back.

My only other concern is that the volume for certain major bodyparts might be on the low side. For example:

--Quads: 4 sets
--Chest: 5 sets
--Shoulders: No compound work

Yea-- I was worried about the chest part also. Its actually 7 sets though not 5. 3 for bench, 2 for db hammer grib bench, and 2 for incline flys, but I was thinkin thats on the low side also.. and even if i added in leg extensions for quads and db press for shoulders its still low on the end of the volume side, right?

So if im not into the rest/pause thing, what do i do?