Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Low reps Vs High Reps. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7546)

embrance 10-08-2011 02:07 PM

Low reps Vs High Reps.

Till now,in my full body I was doing anything between 1-6 reps per set.It worked great,and i loved it.I have made great gains on the scheme.

These past 2 week I have been experimenting with some higher reps shemes like Reeves,and I can even complete ONE workoute,let alone the 3 in the same week.

Should I continue progress on thw lower reps,that i still make gains and I am accustomed to them or try something different?

Soldier 10-08-2011 04:47 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Stick with a program until it stops working.

Kuytrider 10-08-2011 05:06 PM

If you are making the kind of gains you want to be making, there is no earthly reason to change. Why would one stop doing something that is helping them effectively achieve their goals and in a timeframe that they are happy with?

BendtheBar 10-08-2011 05:25 PM

When you jump into a program like Reeves with the higher reps you have to allow some time to adapt to it. I recommend starting with a lighter weight and build into it. If you start heavy it can really be taxing.

This is a common issue with high rep fullbody programs. I ran into this program myself when trying to transition over.

Pull14 10-08-2011 08:27 PM

Training should be as much about fun/enjoyment as it is progression. If you need a mental break from the monotony of low reps or just have a wild hair to try the high reps, go for the higher reps. Just accept that changing things could have a negative consequence and set you back... OR it can have a positive impact.

I'm all for sticking to what works, but sometimes you need to take a step into the dark and experiment a little.

If you do choose to go for high reps, drop a some weight so that the first handful of training sessions are easy-moderate and add weight from there. That and make sure what ever you choose you stick with it for some time. Jumping from program to program in short periods of time does little.

Chillen 10-09-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embrance (Post 178615)
Till now,in my full body I was doing anything between 1-6 reps per set.It worked great,and i loved it.I have made great gains on the scheme.

These past 2 week I have been experimenting with some higher reps shemes like Reeves,and I can even complete ONE workoute,let alone the 3 in the same week.

Should I continue progress on thw lower reps,that i still make gains and I am accustomed to them or try something different?

If what you are doing is working, why do you want to change it? Don't get caught up in the "Grass is greener on the other side" syndrome, when the grass your currently in is green enough to bring the results you want. Stick with it, bro, until the green begins to dull, and this begins to dull when you body "tells you it is".

embrance 10-20-2011 01:23 PM

Anyway,I decided ot keep my current training as it works great still.I took a 2 week break, since I needed that rest and now blowing through PRs every week.Will be posting updates soon.

Chillen 10-20-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embrance (Post 178615)

You stay with what is working for you. Its is very normal when one is under the bar, and on off time (when studying different programs and such), to think that if I tried this or that, my gains may be better than they are with the program I am using--if I tried something different. People tend to change far too often. IMO, stay with a program that is working, until the body "proves" to you, that it isn't any longer.

I use higher reps when leaning down--only because it tends to burn a higher amount of carbohydrates as compared to lower rep ranges, and will deplete (when diet is right) glucose storage faster.

If the grass is green stay there, and as you study, and the body starts to dislike what you are doing, your studying will..then pay off. Stay studying buddy. :)

erictbrown1 05-03-2013 11:47 AM

I like to mix it up. Week one is heavy powerlifting week 5 reps. Week two is more bodybuiling from 10 to 15 reps.