Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Low Carb & Paleo Diet (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Paleo/low carb for bulking ? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7378)

Carl1174 09-21-2011 07:09 AM

Paleo/low carb for bulking ?

I think most people on here know a little about low carbing, paleo etc when trying to cut fat, but if you really upped the calories, could it/would it work for bulking. Or is there a specific reason we need more carbs when trying to gain weight (like the fact they are protein sparing or something like that)..

Just curious...

Carl.

bamazav 09-21-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 173149)
I think most people on here know a little about low carbing, paleo etc when trying to cut fat, but if you really upped the calories, could it/would it work for bulking. Or is there a specific reason we need more carbs when trying to gain weight (like the fact they are protein sparing or something like that)..

Just curious...

Carl.

C-man, great avi btw.

Check out some of Layne Norton's stuff. He promotes primarily low carb with carbs around workouts. He has written some good stuff recently on this issue.

Carl1174 09-21-2011 07:23 AM

thanks Bam, ill take a look.

and thanks :)

Carl.

Soldier 09-21-2011 07:29 AM

If I were to bulk I would use the exact same diet I'm not now, which is low carb during the week with a carb up on the weekend. I've read about people bulking on it just by upping calories during carb ups, and upping how long they do the carb ups. I'm only doing 1 day a week of carbs to try to cut fat, but if one were to up that to 2 or even 3 days I bet it would be perfect for bulking.

If you train 3 days a week then those could be your high carb days, with low carb on off days to improve insulin sensativity and avoid gaining fat.

I know from experience that cycling carbs like this gives you a huge increase in insulin sensativity so that when you do get carbs they really do what you want them to; make you bigger and stronger.

Insulin is really anabolic. All the top bodybuilders are actually injecting this stuff, although they all use it differently because of the extreme risk involved. My point is that you don't want to completely give up on the good stuff that your body can already make naturally.

Shadowschmadow 09-21-2011 08:32 AM

IMO, carbs or low-carb is rather insignificant. The only thing that really matters when you bulk is that you are eating adequately.

BendtheBar 09-21-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 173149)

Just curious...

Carl.

You can certainly bulk on Paleo. Many of the old school lifters ate diets rich in fat and weren't downing rice and various grains heavily throughout the day.

Here's what Doug Hepburn did back in the day:

Quote:

At 18, after his high school years – he wasn’t much of a student – Doug was hired to work on a poultry farm. His compensation was $3.00 a day and all the eggs he could eat. By that time he was already heavily into lifting weights and he weighed 200-plus solid pounds at 5’8 ”. Doug also had a second job, but that position paid only an additional $1.50. So with $4.50 in his pocket every day and al the eggs he could eat, he set up the following mass building diet plan: For breakfast, lunch and dinner he ate 18 eggs and a bunch of bananas, and he drank a half gallon of whole milk. That’s 54 eggs and a gallon and a half of whole milk every 24 hours.
Now granted this isn't strict Paleo, but it's far from a conventional grain-based diet. Paleo isn't anti-carb, but it does dissuade grain and legume use.

My only point is that it can be done. Watch your overall calorie intake.

I get very excited personally about the prospect of folks trying bulks on Paleo using proper calorie intake. I think it has great potential.

I would allow yourself one day a week to eat loosely...to fit in social gatherings and special events.

Off Road 09-21-2011 09:00 AM

Since I'm more of a general lifter type, and not a bodybuilder type, I am less phobic about carbs. But I have noticed that if I center my carbs around training that there is a better chance I'll be happier when looking in the mirror.

Carl1174 09-21-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 173204)
You can certainly bulk on Paleo. Many of the old school lifters ate diets rich in fat and weren't downing rice and various grains heavily throughout the day.

Here's what Doug Hepburn did back in the day:

Now granted this isn't strict Paleo, but it's far from a conventional grain-based diet. Paleo isn't anti-carb, but it does dissuade grain and legume use.

My only point is that it can be done. Watch your overall calorie intake.

I get very excited personally about the prospect of folks trying bulks on Paleo using proper calorie intake. I think it has great potential.

I would allow yourself one day a week to eat loosely...to fit in social gatherings and special events.

I think I am gonna try the IA diet that I did to lose 10lbs a few months back, but ram up the calories and try to see if I can bulk with it after vacation :)

Carl.

bamazav 09-21-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 173231)
I think I am gonna try the IA diet

What is this, for the uninformed?

Carl1174 09-21-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 173239)
What is this, for the uninformed?

Its basically carb cycling, by Iron Addict, worked really well for losing some fat earlier in the year (about 10lbs in 6 weeks) I think It could be a good approach for lean bulking if I put the calories up enough. Carbs only allowed PWO and a re-feed/carb up (where you eat at 'normal' 30/40/40 macros) every 4-5 days...

Carl.