Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Pre-workout Approach (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7061)

jwood 08-14-2011 09:43 PM

Pre-workout Approach

Alright guys, this is kind of a weird thread but I have been thinking about a different approach to my pre workout supplements. I have always for the most part looked for pre workout formulas that just gave me a ton of energy, did not really care other than getting energy.

However, now I have been told that it is a better idea for me to really just calm down and focus. So, I am looking for more of a mild pre workout supplement, but here is an idea that I have been thinking. As much as I do not like what Biotest is doing, they have the only product I can find that fits this.

I was thinking of taking Biotest PowerDrive pre workout, which is supposed to just be a mental intensifier. It is pretty cheap, and they have a money back guarantee. Since I have been doing really long workouts, I was thinking of also getting Quake 10.0, which I think it very mild. And taking only 1 scoop after my primary lift.

The time frame for my workouts is basically at least one hour goes to the primary lift and then another hour of assistance.

http//www.t-nation.com/store/supplements/power-drive.jsp

Is this just a stupid idea?

BendtheBar 08-14-2011 10:07 PM

Quake has been phased out. One of the ingredients was removed and it was reformulated as Novem.

Scivation Novem - Pre-Workout Annihilation!

I haven't tried Novem, but Quake was mild.

I tend to lump pre-workouts into 3 categories:

Creatine/NO OD - This pre-workouts give me insane muscle pumps, which is not really what I'm after. Big Rig's NO Xhaust is like this. The pumps are to much, especially back pumps.

Energy OD - AAEFX's K-Otic was like this for me. the energy was so strong I lost my focus.

Focus OD - This is what I'm after, combined with a solid energy boost that isn't noticeable until the workout is done and you feel ready for more. Muscle Marinade was like this for me.

Quote:

Is this just a stupid idea?
Not in my opinion. Novem doesn't have conflicting ingredients with Power Drive so it's worth a shot. At that price I'm almost willing to try it myself. I think it would be a fun little experiment. You might even try adding a half scoop of Novem an hour after the first if you're doing a marathon session.

jwood 08-14-2011 10:12 PM

Thanks for the fast reply steve. This is something I have been thinking about today. And I think for the price of both products it would probably be a pretty good experiment. I have also read that just taking a caffeine pill is good with the power drive.

I think one container of Novem would last a very long time if I am only taking one scoop for most workouts. Every once in a while during a marathon workout just throw in another scoop. My thought is that I usually do not need energy at the beginning of my workouts, I just need to get focused and get the mind muscle connection dialed in.

I think this is an experiment worth trying for a little while. And the price is really cheap for power drive with free shipping.

BendtheBar 08-14-2011 10:23 PM

I always ran Quake at one scoop and it lasted quite a long time. Heck, you could probably do a half scoop or so an hour in just as a booster.

I was with Marc Lobliner at the Sciavation right after Quake was being phased out and he told me to take as many Quakes as I wanted to. Like a dummy I said no thanks. Right now I wish I would have taken a few so i could send them your way.

jwood 08-14-2011 10:33 PM

That would have been awesome but its all good. I have been looking around a bit and there are a few websites that still have it. But I think I will continue to support Muscleandstrength and just get novem.

Abaddon 08-14-2011 11:52 PM

Have you ever tried MP Assault?

I've got nothing to compare it to, so don't know if it's too much or even too little.

Initially, it made me feel slightly nauseated and burpy. But after the first few times I took it this queasiness went away (I recommend using LOTS of ice cold water... the recommended 6 ounces just isn't enough).

I've consumed more than half the tub now, and I'm still only using half doses and getting a good deal of energy and, more importantly, focus in my training.

There's no shakes or over-stimulated feeling, like I've read other Pre-WO supps have. If you haven't tried it, you might want to give it a go.

big_swede 08-15-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 161662)
However, now I have been told that it is a better idea for me to really just calm down and focus. So, I am looking for more of a mild pre workout supplement, but here is an idea that I have been thinking. As much as I do not like what Biotest is doing, they have the only product I can find that fits this.

I used to be a big fan of jack3d and other stim pwo's but i ended that relation a couple of months back, since then i just use creatine and free aminos, and coffe or a red bull. And its a big difference, actually the focus during workouts are better and im not as easily distracted.

LtL 08-15-2011 03:56 AM

I tried Massive Growth last year, not sure if it's still on the market but that had some real potent focus effects without too much jacking up from energy and stimulants.

LtL

rippednmichigan 08-15-2011 04:11 AM

I know BTB mentioned K-Otic put him in energy over-drive (which is awesome!!) but from knowing BTB he is not a "STIM JUNKY" like I think you are (and so am I lol) I think K-Otic will put you right where you want to be J. Have you tried K-Otic before? The focus I get from it is amazing, I feel I can workout longer than I need to. If your not in a big hurry to buy something PM me for some samples.

Rich Knapp 08-15-2011 05:40 AM

I agree with ripped. I have had my best results with K-Otic. Even better when my pre workout meal is about 1 hour pre W/O. Then I hake K-O on empty stomach and it lasts threw mt 30 set w/o's and beyond.