Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bench: the exposing of weakness (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7003)

BendtheBar 08-09-2011 09:10 AM

Bench: the exposing of weakness

I have reached a new level of hell on bench presses this month. I have worked with 405 twice and the biggest challenge is my abs and obliques. They quiver and rebel and feel like they are going to cramp.

Just wanted to mention this because I have been working the heck out of my abs and obliques this year with weighted work. It's really helped with my squat eccentrics, but with how weak they feel on bench - I have some work to do.

Just when you think you've turned a weakness into a strength, heavier weight teaches you that your weakness is still a weakness and you're not working hard enough.

Szelago 08-09-2011 09:34 AM

Maybe it is just simple pre-exhaustion/ over fatigue of the core muscles from the weighted work.
I kow I have had my abs cramp up bad while simply getting in/out of a low sitting car due to the reasons above.

BendtheBar 08-09-2011 09:40 AM

It's a very distinctive transition. Both times at 375 I felt strong and had no issues. At 405 my abs and obliques felt like they were going to twitch and burst out of the flesh.

LtL 08-09-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 159885)
I have reached a new level of hell on bench presses this month. I have worked with 405 twice and the biggest challenge is my abs and obliques. They quiver and rebel and feel like they are going to cramp.

Just wanted to mention this because I have been working the heck out of my abs and obliques this year with weighted work. It's really helped with my squat eccentrics, but with how weak they feel on bench - I have some work to do.

Just when you think you've turned a weakness into a strength, heavier weight teaches you that your weakness is still a weakness and you're not working hard enough.

Just another reason why getting from 2pps to 3pps is not the same as getting from 3pps to 4. At heavy loads just holding the damned bar can be hard! You'll get it done.

LtL

BendtheBar 08-09-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 159909)
Just another reason why getting from 2pps to 3pps is not the same as getting from 3pps to 4. At heavy loads just holding the damned bar can be hard! You'll get it done.

LtL

Exactly.

Off Road 08-09-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 159909)

LtL

So true. You see guys all the time race up to some decent numbers and you think, "Holy crap, this guy is going to blow right past me." But everybody hits that wall somewhere and things start to become a real struggle. I guess that's what seperates the true competitors.

BendtheBar 08-09-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 159923)
But everybody hits that wall somewhere and things start to become a real struggle.

Truer words were never spoken.

I spent a year at 405 x 5 on squats and I thought things were never going to get better.

HERC410 10-14-2011 10:24 PM

Thought about bench supports? Chuck Sipes was a big advocate back in the day.

MonsterMike 10-23-2011 04:25 PM

As frustrating as it may be....you can look at it two ways: 1) it sucks ect ect ect...or 2) its always good to know where you at and where you can improve bc the only way to go at that point it up....think of "weaknesses" as what i like to call "opportunities"....its your opportunity to get bigger, stronger, and better! Just think.....you are putting up beast numbers and you still have room for improvement....how much better will you be in 6 months of work! Looks like this could be an exciting time for you! Best of luck dude....keep training hard and beasting your workouts!