Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Exercise Form (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Form Critique... (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6899)

Carl1174 07-26-2011 03:09 PM

Form Critique...

Steve and I thought it would be a good idea if there was one thread where we could all get critiqued on or lifts and get help and advice if needed. So post up your videos of your lifts, whatever they may be and have the members here help to point you in the right direction.

Whether it is Squat, Deadlift, Bench or any other lift, post up the videos and we will help where we can.

No one will be ridiculed or laughed at, this is purely for help and advice, the weight is unimportant its just the technique that will be looked at.

The more angles you can get the lift filmed from the better.

Here is my most recent deadlift 1rm (160kg) any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated (as this has become a bit of a sticking point for me)

I will definitely be getting a bench video up soon as well as I feel from reading some posts on here Im not doing things quite right.

Carl.

Szelago 07-26-2011 03:42 PM

Carl, I'm no expert, but it looked good to me.

BendtheBar 07-26-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl1174 (Post 156157)

You're doing a lot of things correctly.

A couple tips:

Lockout: You're curling the weight up a bit at the end to finish the lockout. Instead, thrust your hips forward and lean back. Keep those arms straight and let the hips and and the lean pull that weight up.

Head: You're doing a good job of lowering your hips into a good leverage point. But, your head dips down when you start the deadlift - this causes your hips to rise and you RDL slightly. Focus on leading with the head. Where the head goes, the body follows.

Fazc 07-26-2011 03:48 PM

I can't tell for sure, but was there a little arm bend there?

T-Bone 07-26-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 156166)
Head: You're doing a good job of lowering your hips into a good leverage point. But, your head dips down when you start the deadlift - this causes your hips to rise and you RDL slightly. Focus on leading with the head. Where the head goes, the body follows.

I noticed this too, almost like you tilt forward. Glad you posted the vid Carl, because I can take this critique and apply it to my deads on Thurs.

J_Byrd 07-26-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 156166)
You're doing a lot of things correctly.

A couple tips:

Lockout: You're curling the weight up a bit at the end to finish the lockout. Instead, thrust your hips forward and lean back. Keep those arms straight and let the hips and and the lean pull that weight up.

For my money BTB was on point. Very solid advice.

Creechur 07-26-2011 09:00 PM

The two things that BtB pointed out are true, but I was going to count the lift as perfect Carl. It is important not to curl the weight though because that's how you get bicep tears. I'm glad you started this thread because I was going to make one this week for lifts anyways haha! Here's my bench and squat 3x3's.

Carl1174 07-27-2011 02:37 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, I noticed a RDL'ed the lift slightly at the beginning and didnt think it was my head, so thats really helpful.

Glad people approve of the thread. Hopefully we can all get some good feedback and help each other here :)

Carl.

BendtheBar 07-27-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creechur (Post 156261)
It is important not to curl the weight though because that's how you get bicep tears.

Good point. I've seen this happen several times.

BendtheBar 07-27-2011 09:30 AM

[quote=Creechur;156261]

Squat and bench look solid to me Creech.