Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Feedback on switching from fullbody training to push/pull/leg training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5972)

dooj 04-27-2011 05:14 PM

Feedback on switching from fullbody training to push/pull/leg training

Hello all, I wanted to say hello and was looking for some feedback regarding switching from a fullbody workout to a Push/Pull/leg split. I am 40 year old male and have been doing a fullbody workout for the past six months after many years of not doing any form of resistance training with the exception of bodyweight exercises. I have had good results using a routine similar to Casey Butts beginner program. However, I am considering switching to a routine such as the push/pull/split written by Mick Madden titled “The Old Man Routine” . as I would rather now reduce the frequency of squatting to no more than one or two x a week. I am aware that if I train correctly, I can gain on mostly any routine as this routine appears to still focus on the compound lifts. Have any of you gained on a similar push/pull/leg routine? My main concern is while I would be reducing the frequency of squatting on the push/pull/leg I would obviously be reducing the frequency on all other exercises as well.

Thanks for your input!

dmaipa 04-27-2011 05:20 PM

hey dooj I actually spent alot of time on Push/Pull/Legs and really had great progress on it..i actually used it for most of my contest prep into my first show. Although the frequency is going down the volume may increase which you will need to recover from depending on how the routine is set up. I'm not really familiar with the program you are looking at but i think you will be fine switching to push/pull/legs and keep progressing from there.

BendtheBar 04-27-2011 05:46 PM

Hi Dooj,

I made the majority of my gains on a push, pull, legs routine. In fact, I know the workout you are talking about well. I actually wrote it under a pen name. It's something I used when getting back into lifting after years away from the gym.

As long as progression of weight is involved, as well as a solid eating approach, you will see gains on that program...or on similar programs.

dooj 04-27-2011 06:18 PM

Appreciate the feedback

dmaipa-thanks for the inpput I appreciate it I can tell you've been ripping it up in the gym by your pic keep up the good work!

Steve- Nice pen name you have the Stephen King thing going on there! I will try this routine after this weeks lifting. I think I am familiar with some of your work if you have been on weightrainer and primal lifter both excellent sites which are invaluable.:mh: I absorbed a lot of information from those sites and thanks for your contributions to the lifting community!

BendtheBar 04-27-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooj (Post 133358)
dmaipa-thanks for the inpput I appreciate it I can tell you've been ripping it up in the gym by your pic keep up the good work!

Steve- Nice pen name you have the Stephen King thing going on there! I will try this routine after this weeks lifting. I think I am familiar with some of your work if you have been on weightrainer and primal lifter both excellent sites which are invaluable.:mh: I absorbed a lot of information from those sites and thanks for your contributions to the lifting community!

Thanks! Glad to know I have helped someone in some way.

I also write children's fiction, and have a pen name for that.

Truth is, I write for a magazine and several websites, and I don't want to draw attention from those sites to my forum home here so I use a pen name.

I am on Weightrainer and one of Casey Butt's biggest proponents. I try to spread reasonable natural expectations every chance I can get.