Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Low Carb & Paleo Diet (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Low Carb Side Dishes (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5581)

BendtheBar 03-03-2011 11:12 AM

Low Carb Side Dishes

Looking for some simple and convenient side dishes/recipes to serve with dinner. Something that doesn't scare the kids. My wife hates mushrooms so that's out of the picture.

Anything that can be served on a plate with protein :)

I have a couple Paleo books but the side dishes/veggie dishes aren't that great. Many are mushroom-based.

bigtim27 03-03-2011 11:14 AM

mashed cauliflower. boil cauliflower until tender mix in food processor with heavy cream until mashed potato consistancy.

LtL 03-03-2011 11:16 AM

What about peppers chopped up with feta cheese as a salad.

LtL

BendtheBar 03-03-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtim27 (Post 120671)
mashed cauliflower. boil cauliflower until tender mix in food processor with heavy cream until mashed potato consistancy.

Nice! That's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.

bigtim27 03-03-2011 11:20 AM

BROCCOLI-AND-CAULIFLOWER GRATIN

1 pound fresh broccoli florets *
1 pound fresh cauliflower florets *
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
4 ounces cheddar cheese, 1 cup
3 ounces parmesan cheese, about 1/2 cup
4 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, 1 ounce

Steam the vegetables until crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes; drain well and season with salt and pepper. Put the vegetables in a greased shallow baking pan, 9x13". In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise and the next 5 ingredients. Spoon this mixture over the vegetables and spread as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese over the top. Bake at 350 20-25 minutes until the topping is golden brown and bubbly.

Makes 10-12 servings

bigtim27 03-03-2011 11:22 AM

CREAMED SPINACH
16 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, divided

Drain the spinach very well. Blend the cream cheese, butter, nutmeg and 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese. Stir in the spinach; put in a greased 1-quart casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 20-25 minutes or until the parmesan is golden brown.

Makes 4 servings

bigtim27 03-03-2011 11:25 AM

ALFREDO ZUCCHINI "SPAGHETTI"
2 medium zucchini, julienned, about 10 ounces trimmed
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, 2 ounces
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat the butter in a large nonstick skillet and add the zucchini and garlic. Cook just until it softens and becomes a little limp but not soggy. Add the parmesan cheese and parsley and toss to coat the zucchini. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

5kgLifter 03-03-2011 12:36 PM

Don't know if this is the sort of side dish, but wok fried/cooked (since it's more steamed than fried) veggies:

Tablespoon of oil (of choice)
Sliced peppers (red, green and yellow)
cauliflower florets, small
broccoli florets, small
thinly sliced carrot
add squeeze of lemon juice and a dash of worcestershire sauce (or flavourings of choice)

cook, serve. veggies can be added, such as mange tout etc, as desired, baby sweetcorn...the combos are endless and it's quick and easy to alter and you can even serve most of it, and then add some mushrooms in just for one person and serve the remainder.

Pretty much a 3-minute cook.

ForwardMotionStruggle 03-03-2011 12:47 PM

As much as most people don't like bb.com, the recipes are still applicable.

For times I craved sugar, they helped with keto brownies at 1g of carbs.
Check the recipe section. It was helpful for my keto diet.
Keto Recipes - Bodybuilding.com Forums

storm1507 03-03-2011 12:48 PM

You did say simple didn't you? I have really started to enjoy steamed brocoli since doing keto last year.

I never would have thought I would eat it. But, keto style w/ lots of cheese got me to rethink.

I just put a little water, oil, or butter in a microwavable dish, put in the raw brocoli, add seasoning (I like garlic, pepper, and sea salt) cover with something and push start. 2 min is what I like in my microwave. If you want cheese, add it the last several seconds to melt.