Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Belts in regard to maximal lifting (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3908)

IronManlet 08-02-2010 08:02 AM

Belts in regard to maximal lifting

What are your guys' opinions on using a belt for maxing on Squats/Deadlifts? I don't want to take away from my midsection strength, so I only use a belt for my top sets; but would it be better for my overall strength if I trained without a belt on Squat/Deads? (safety reasons aside; just talking muscle strength here)

BendtheBar 08-02-2010 09:28 AM

I'm no expert but I've trained both ways, and raw as of late. I really don't notice much of a need for a belt, though I have a strong back. I have been considering a belt for 90%+ lifts.

IronManlet 08-02-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 73211)
I'm no expert but I've trained both ways, and raw as of late. I really don't notice much of a need for a belt, though I have a strong back. I have been considering a belt for 90%+ lifts.

My back is actually my strongest point; I have never had my back round on Squats, and my Deadlift is not bad considering how little experience I have.

I'm wondering if the belt will hamper my midsection strength in any way? If that's the case, then I'd rather train without it.

Trevor Lane 08-02-2010 09:57 AM

I only use a belt for deads, and that's because I went without once and really jacked up my back. That's a good question and I think you'll get varied answers ranging from "always use them to be safe" to "if you need the belt to lift it, that's not your max."

IronManlet 08-02-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Lane (Post 73216)
I only use a belt for deads, and that's because I went without once and really jacked up my back. That's a good question and I think you'll get varied answers ranging from "always use them to be safe" to "if you need the belt to lift it, that's not your max."

Well, I'm kind of leaning towards not using a belt for a while. I would just like some people's opinions on the whole belt thing; what's worked for them, etc.

I haven't found it to effect my max much either way.

jwood 08-02-2010 10:36 AM

I use a belt for most of my lifts, and I think it is just a mental aid. When I squat I leave my belt pretty loose and try to push my abs against it. When I put my belt on it makes me much more confident and that is why it helps me.

Deadlifts I usually wear my belt pretty tight for safety. I am not sure how much it helps though, but I just feel more comfortable lifting with a belt on

big valsalva 08-02-2010 10:36 AM

Although I've never trained with one, I would have to agree with BTB. If you're working at around 90%, maybe a belt is a good idea. As your 90% numbers improve, so also will your lower (unbelted) numbers. There is no need to worry about losing strength in your midsection/core as long as your unbelted weights are going up.

cooltom 08-02-2010 10:36 AM

I work up as high as I can without a belt, then put it on for "work" sets, sometimes going without it on the first ones.

Also, heavy ab work should be done regardless of whether you wear a belt or not.

ricka182 08-02-2010 11:32 AM

I use a belt and wraps for almost all lifts, maxes or not. Esspecially with Deads and Squats, but even on OH Press and Shrugs sometimes..

JesseA 08-02-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooltom (Post 73224)
I work up as high as I can without a belt, then put it on for "work" sets, sometimes going without it on the first ones.

Also, heavy ab work should be done regardless of whether you wear a belt or not.

Seconded!

I almost always wear my belt on my top two sets, then if pyramiding down, I'll often wear on the drop sets too. I really like the positive feedback from being able to push into the belt with my abs.

You need to train your abs/core regardless of belt usage. Deads/Squats alone are not enough for abs work.