Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Protein Supplement Frequency (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3885)

DieselWeasel 07-29-2010 09:27 PM

Protein Supplement Frequency

For those of you who consume protein supplements, how often do you guys eat/drink 'em? Every day of the week? Just days that you do a training session in the gym? Is it totally at random?

EDIT: Doh! I forgot that there's a supplement section on this board. Can you move this thread over there, Steve? Thanks. :)

onetiredkris 07-29-2010 11:40 PM

25g before and 25g after lifting.

big valsalva 07-30-2010 06:40 AM

I supplement protein mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and a double portion post workout. That's how I USUALLY do it anyway.

BendtheBar 07-30-2010 07:45 AM

I am more non-conventional. 50 grams whey post-workout, sip on 25 grams during a workout. 50-75 grams in the morning sipped with coffee.

Craig Pfisterer 07-30-2010 07:49 AM

I drink 3 weight gain shakes a day (sometimes two if I sleep in too late on the weekends haha). Each is 650 calories and 60 grams of protein. First one is usually at noon, second is a few hours later and the last one is right before bed.

Trevor Lane 07-30-2010 08:05 AM

I always get 25 grams pre-workout and 50 post workout. Then sometimes I'll get another 25 grams in a day, my main thing is avoiding milk/weigh before sleep.

kman025 07-30-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Lane (Post 72673)
I always get 25 grams pre-workout and 50 post workout. Then sometimes I'll get another 25 grams in a day, my main thing is avoiding milk/weigh before sleep.

why avoid whey before sleep?

Trevor Lane 07-30-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 72742)
why avoid whey before sleep?

I don't think you really end up using it very effectively because it digests so fast (basically more protien ends up in the toilet bowl the next day than built muscle while sleeping) and I don't want anything terribly glycemic before sleep.

Also, from reading this The Rules Of Productive Weight Training For The Drug-Free Trainee Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding and Powerlifting.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey Butt
And eat some protein before you go to bed. Overnight your body will need protein, so give it some just before you go to sleep. It could be some meat, some cheese, a few hard-boiled eggs or something else solid. Solid proteins, generally, take longer to digest than liquids, giving a steady supply of amino acids to your body – so use them.

So, that's why I don't like to consume whey before bed.

DieselWeasel 07-31-2010 02:29 AM

Thanks for the replies and voting, guys. I decided to have one whey drink on my off days and two on my training days. I haven't been using protein supps consistently until now, so hopefully it helps my progress, along with plenty of steak, potatoes, burgers, chicken, pasta, eggs, cheese, and fish.

Trevor Lane 07-31-2010 06:54 AM

If you've got the money, a protien blend is even better than weigh because you get a combo of fast and slow digesting protiens. I add an egg to my PWO shake to get a similar effect.