Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How often do you "de-load", or take time away from training? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331)

BendtheBar 07-20-2009 05:16 AM

How often do you "de-load", or take time away from training?

How often do you de-load, or take time away from training?

When I was younger, I took less time away - maybe a week every 6 months. But now I generally take 3-7 days away every 2-3 months. I don't plan this period, it usually just happens with general life busyness or illness.

BRaWNy 07-20-2009 06:48 AM

I rarely take off entirely from training, it happens sometimes, and it is not planned either and for the same reasons of general life with MaB in the post above.

But I deload or do back off days in training often.
They also are not planned, it goes instinctivelly and impulsive, and when I feel to back off or deload.

I preffer to have a more autoregulatory plan and periodize my training this way, and not something written on paper with dates etc.

BendtheBar 07-20-2009 04:31 PM

I'm the same way Brawny. I rarely schedule a de-load, unless I am doing a straight powerlifting routine, but I haven't done that in 6 months.

I think I have my current routine down to the point where the need for de-loading just isn't there.

Back in my youth when I recklessly performed a more high volume style routine, I would get worn down after several months and want to get away. In fact, this style often burned me out, and often lead to a questioning of whether I should continue lifting at all.

JesseA 07-20-2009 08:02 PM

Every 4th week I'm deloading with dynamic effort movements with around 40-50% 1RM. It really helps get rid of any aches or pains I might be accumulating. Supposedly it helps with muscle growth as well, but I've not noticed anything specific to the deload week and size gains.

BendtheBar 07-20-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseA (Post 1452)
Every 4th week I'm deloading with dynamic effort movements with around 40-50% 1RM. It really helps get rid of any aches or pains I might be accumulating. Supposedly it helps with muscle growth as well, but I've not noticed anything specific to the deload week and size gains.

The dual factor aspect of de-loading supposedly keeps the fitness level while decreasing fatigue, which can add strength. I've not experienced this myself, but in theory it sounds good :)

maokoto 07-24-2009 04:09 AM

I used to deload when my progress stucks for 3, 4 or more weeks. It got me stressed a lot because all of that effort without any gains.

Now I am having a more conservative approach, try to deload when I feel like it is a good time to do it, even if I think I could push a little more. Sometimes it is hard to convince oneself not to go all-out everytime.

As for rest periods, I donīt plan them either. Life brings them naturally (trips, illness, social compromises, etc.)