Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Interesting Find (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17468)

Cutty 07-10-2014 01:12 AM

Interesting Find

Hey I came across this article about women and gym workouts and I was curious what you think about it?

Do Gym Workout Routines For Women Even Work?

Dray 07-10-2014 03:38 AM

Most of all, I'm automatically suspicious when it comes to articles written by "someone" (who?) with no name, background, images, or whatever given at all. Not even on his/her/their Facebook page, that I could see.

JBWarren70 07-10-2014 05:56 AM

Interesting, that it makes sense, regardless of who wrote the article, and I follow the same opinion even with info given to men.

Cutty 07-10-2014 08:24 AM

I know who wrote the article :).

But that brings up a good point, Dray.

Dray 07-10-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty (Post 492793)
I know who wrote the article :).

Cool. Do tell! :)

As with articles anywhere online or offline, I believe it does matter - knowing who actually wrote the thing, that is.

And if it's about lifting, say, then I would also appreciate knowing their background wrt lifting, training others (if relevant), and yeah, some pictures of them - or those they've trained, depending - might help as well (if the article has anything to do with aesthetics, fat loss, etc.)

Otherwise, "they" (whoever that is!) might just be talking out their ass. If they're not willing to reveal who they are... the first question would be why.

bigalfry 07-10-2014 10:57 AM

I tend to agree with this article regardless of the author. My wife used to look for women's routines and I'd see what the routine included and was confused. There's a whole lot of "tricep kick backs - 5lbs x 3 sets of 10". I didn't want to say anything though because this was in her early days of going to the gym and for her to have a plan and the confidence to walk into the gym and do her routine was better than crapping all over the searching she did and ruin her confidence and the gym for her. Over time though I was able to convince her to join me in what I was doing by asking her about her workout and I'd say things like "do you feel anything after doing tricep kick backs with 5 lbs? If you don't feel anything then how effective do you think it is?" and then showing her pictures of smoking hot female power lifters to show that lifting heavy won't turn her into a dude with tits.

I think that everyone would benefit from rigorous weight lifting and I feel the best routines for both women and men involves pushing yourself in strength training. The problem is that most women have that same misconception my wife used to have. "I don't want to lift heavy weights, I don't want to look like a bodybuilder." So if you are trying to make money publishing a magazine, a book or a website by creating workout routines for women, most women are going to gravitate towards the magazine that tells you to do 3 sets of 10 with 5lbs rather than the one that tells them to actually try to get stronger. It comes down to women wanting these cute pink and fluffy workouts because they don't know any better so people keep coming up with them for web traffic or magazine sales. Supply and demand.

chiroman 07-10-2014 11:01 AM

I agree with the premise with "womens routines" being bullshit. There is no difference between men and women when it comes to muscle cells and fat cells and what stimulates them to change. Training catered to women seems to be more of a marketing ploy then anything. I have women tell me the want to firm up their butt or legs or whatever ask me what exercise should I do, its always the same answer. Clean up your diet and do some squats. Get off the chrome weights! :-)

jiorio95 07-10-2014 11:53 AM

I think you could get away with the statement even taking of the "for women" part at the end. Whenever I walk into a commercial gym it is crazy the things you see people all of ages and gender doing. I remember a guy show up one day and he had torn out a page from a muscle mag with Superman's workout (from the last movie). He had to be 30lbs overweight and of course just ended up hurt and discouraged.

The amount of misinformation out there in the name of money and attention is crazy. We've all been victim to it at one point or another.

I knew my wife would never listen to my workout advice because she didn't want to get "big and muscle", just like BigAlFry said above. I happened to run across a woman trainer who was a friend of mine and she had her girls doing 5x5 bench, squat, deadlift plus assistance. The same stuff I had always gently hinted to my wife she should look into. Signed her up and she looks and feels great.

It's amazing how easy the answer really is for everyone to at least get started and see results... but it doesn't grab any headlines.