Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Personal Trainer Aspirations (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703)

onetiredkris 01-15-2010 08:26 PM

Personal Trainer Aspirations

Ok well since its been over a year of me not having a valid drivers license I'm thinking about changing professions. Fixing trucks made me buttloads of money, but it stressed me out and I've developed arthritis and my hands hurt like crazy when I'm doing certain repairs.

In comes my love: the gym.
My Ballys loves me and they told me today that they wouldn't hesitate to hire me as a personal trainer, so I didn't hesitate to fill out an application right then and there.

So they said I have three months of working until I am required to have a personal trainer certification. Several trainers there said the best one i should get is NSCA. Anyone have any opinions on this? And ware online can i get the most information to help me out on this quest?

jdmalm123 01-15-2010 10:06 PM

National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).

My friend works at Ballys in NY...they require NASM, but it was all online. I saw the online NASM test and didn't think it was that difficult. There was no charge as it was taken through the Ballys web site.

I spoke to Juan Carlos Santana, who is NASM certified, and asked him if he recommended it. He said he would go with NSCA if he had it to do over. My understanding is NSCA is the most "hands-on" or real world/sports cert out there. I'm considering it myself.

BendtheBar 01-15-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetiredkris (Post 20011)
Ok well since its been over a year of me not having a valid drivers license I'm thinking about changing professions. Fixing trucks made me buttloads of money, but it stressed me out and I've developed arthritis and my hands hurt like crazy when I'm doing certain repairs.

I don't have an opinion but I do feel your pain. I was a machinist and I woke up with numb hands every morning.

onetiredkris 01-16-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmalm123 (Post 20018)
National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).

My friend works at Ballys in NY...they require NASM, but it was all online. I saw the online NASM test and didn't think it was that difficult. There was no charge as it was taken through the Ballys web site.

I spoke to Juan Carlos Santana, who is NASM certified, and asked him if he recommended it. He said he would go with NSCA if he had it to do over. My understanding is NSCA is the most "hands-on" or real world/sports cert out there. I'm considering it myself.

Nice, I'm probably minutes away from signing up. I just need some reassurance of its reputation before i blow $135 for the one year membership.

BendtheBar 01-16-2010 09:51 AM

OTK...I do have a number of professional bodybuilders and figure competitors that I know from my interviews, etc., that are trainers. I could hook you up with their emails. I'm sure they'd be glad to answer questions. Send me a PM if interested.

jhuse2 01-16-2010 12:27 PM

I only have a few comments. Do what you love, Never pass up an apportunity and never say give yourself a chance to say.."What if".

dmaipa 01-16-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetiredkris (Post 20027)
Nice, I'm probably minutes away from signing up. I just need some reassurance of its reputation before i blow $135 for the one year membership.

I am certified through the NSCA. It is probably the most reputable organization that i've come across that most people are looking for. the NSCA has two different areas of certifications, the CPT and CSCS. If you have any questions on it, i'll be glad to help you out man

jdmalm123 01-16-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetiredkris (Post 20027)

Go for it. I also interviewed to be the PT Manager at a Bally's in NY...
Being a reputable trainer there could lead you to other things...

The PT manager job was 30k base pay + up to 30k PT sales bonus (+ another 10k if you continued to train 1-on-1)

bwys61 01-16-2010 07:43 PM

NSCA CPT or CSCS. Those are highly respected