Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Push Press/High Pull (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696)

jwood 01-14-2010 08:46 PM

Push Press/High Pull

Just a question of form for these lifts:

Should push press be held at lockout or not?

Should high pull be done from the floor or should it be done from a little below waist height? Or is it a personal choice??

In C&P's new blog entry, he says that he does not like to do deadlifts very often because of the extreme soreness they cause and I think I am going to agree with him here, and only do them every once in a while. Powercleans seem to be one of his top exercise choices over deadlifts.

BendtheBar 01-14-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 19858)
Just a question of form for these lifts:

Should push press be held at lockout or not?

Should high pull be done from the floor or should it be done from a little below waist height? Or is it a personal choice??

In C&P's new blog entry, he says that he does not like to do deadlifts very often because of the extreme soreness they cause and I think I am going to agree with him here, and only do them every once in a while. Powercleans seem to be one of his top exercise choices over deadlifts.

A high pull is generally from the floor. A hang pull is from a standing position. That's generally my understanding of the movement. To me, the hang pull is a less useful movement, as it is more like a power upright row. But I'm sure there are arguments for both.

And if I'm correct, the only difference between a high pull and a power clean is the "catch" at the top.

My question...it it better to do power cleans, or "catch" them Olympic style into the front squat position? Which would be most effective for strength? I'm wondering if catching in a front squat position wouldn't be the best movement of all?

Regarding push press, I don't think it matters. If I had the ceiling height to do them, I would probably do a soft lock or near lock. But I doubt I would fully lock out.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

Grim83 01-14-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 19867)
A high pull is generally from the floor. A hang pull is from a standing position. That's generally my understanding of the movement. To me, the hang pull is a less useful movement, as it is more like a power upright row. But I'm sure there are arguments for both.

And if I'm correct, the only difference between a high pull and a power clean is the "catch" at the top.

My question...it it better to do power cleans, or "catch" them Olympic style into the front squat position? Which would be most effective for strength? I'm wondering if catching in a front squat position wouldn't be the best movement of all?

Regarding push press, I don't think it matters. If I had the ceiling height to do them, I would probably do a soft lock or near lock. But I doubt I would fully lock out.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

Cleans where you catch in the front squat position are way more technical, i have a hard time remembering to squat because of how quick it is, but you will be able to lift more that way, and you get the extra bonus of more leg work

kitarpyar 01-15-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim83 (Post 19886)
Cleans where you catch in the front squat position are way more technical, i have a hard time remembering to squat because of how quick it is, but you will be able to lift more that way, and you get the extra bonus of more leg work

There are different types of clean. Cleaning the weight and catching it in a front squat position when you are already close to the bottom to mid-position of a squat (like Olympic lifters) is a squat clean or full clean. You can lift more that way, but its a technical lift and will more time to master as opposed to the standard powerclean.

In a powerclean, the weight is caught in a position where you will be able to do a front squat, but still you arent exactly low enough while catching it. In fact, the bend at the knees is quite slight and you are in a reasonably upright stance. In general, you will be able to handle more weight with high pulls as opposed to power cleans.

Between a squat clean and high pull, I am not too sure in which case one could handle heavier stuff, especially since your squat clean form is an important factor. But if the squat clean form is good, then the weights handled can be a bit higher than powerclean.

Bodybygamma 01-15-2010 03:44 PM

For push press you should hold the lock out and stick your head through since it will make your stronger, although I wouldn't stress it on any rep scheme past triples as much, unless your going to compete.

jwood 01-15-2010 03:55 PM

Thanks for the input guys!