Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Would love some critique on my dead lift form. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16627)

Likethebaldwin 03-16-2014 03:49 AM

Would love some critique on my dead lift form.

Hey guys.

My dead lifts need help badly. All advice is appreciated.

I made a video but I can't post url's yet. If you would go to the trouble of copy and pasting the text below into the search bar on youtube you can watch my video.

watch?v=yylcvFQPR6s

Thanks.

bamazav 03-16-2014 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Likethebaldwin (Post 464467)
Hey guys.

My dead lifts need help badly. All advice is appreciated.

I made a video but I can't post url's yet. If you would go to the trouble of copy and pasting the text below into the search bar on youtube you can watch my video.

watch?v=yylcvFQPR6s

Thanks.

I am not a fan of touch and goes for a variety of reasons. With form checks especially, as most folks tend to lose form as they progress. That said, Weight looked too light, it is easy to maintain form if too light. You started with some form struggles, first, you should have smacked the girl texting as she walked across the platform as you are about to lift. Second you look a little tight in the posterior, some glute and ham work will help. Remember, you are standing up with the bar. Finally, it is okay to look at the bar while you set up. I felt like you were feeling around to find the bar and position for set up because you couldn't see anything. Wait, you were looking in a mirror weren't you? Still, set up is important, look at the bar and get set up.

Thorney 03-16-2014 07:45 AM

I thought form looked ok. Need more flexibility to in glutes and hamstrings to help with that lower back rounding. To echo Bamazav's point on set up, what I do is set my feet, then grip the bar with my back arched over and ass up in air then pull my hips down into my starting position.

Soldier 03-16-2014 09:17 AM

Your lower back isn't rounding. If anything, your ass is too low and your chest is too upright. Because you're trying so hard to get your butt low and arch your back your knees are actually getting in the way. The bar is getting out away from you when you should actually be pulling it towards you.

Use more weight. Stop trying to be so perfect. Grab the bar, rip it off the ground, when the bar passes your knees squeeze the crap out of your glutes, and lean back so hard that the only thing keeping you from falling backwards is the weight in your hands.

Likethebaldwin 03-19-2014 01:50 AM

Soldier, Thorney, Bamazav, thanks for taking the time to watch my vid and give the feedback. It's proving helpful. I did deadlifts today and went ahead and upped the weight. It felt good.

I have started stretching my hams and glutes more as well, hopefully that will help.