Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mind and Motivation (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   I need people to tell me I'm being stupid (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16624)

JumpmanRugs 03-15-2014 01:15 PM

I need people to tell me I'm being stupid
 
Okay.

So as many of you know I've always had eating disorders, so have to be careful with changes in my diet or it creeps back in.

Back in the day I was told I have mental health issues, but kind of 'fixed' myself in the sense I managed to take control. However, let me introduce you to my stupid mind.

For 3-4 months I have been deadlifting, squatting, benching, rowing, pulling myself up, dipping and OHPing. That's it. Nothing but compounds.

Now I have started to add in some 'hypertrophy' exercises as I would call them. Curls, higher rep OHP (Pyramind style), lat pulldowns for reps and such.

Now, in my mind I feel that doing some sort of isolation exercises shouldn't be allowed for basketball and it will not benefit me in any way and is just stupid.

I am still doing all of my compounds but just added in 1 or 2 more muscle targeted exercises (Not neccessarily isolation, but for hypertrophy) and i feel like I really shouldn't be doing them. I actually felt bad for doing them the other day.

Really?! What the heck is up with that? It played on my mind for a good few hours thinking, why did I do those curls? I enjoyed doing them, and felt stronger and was strict curling more weight than I ever have, but I felt bad for doing them.

I know it's stupid, but I kind of just wanted to explain to see if anybody has ever been like this? My mind is a funny place because of issues in the past, it takes me more effort to train my mind to do things than most. I'm very much an all or nothing sort of person.

I dunno, just waffling about a stupid freaking thing. I can't even explain it properly.

I'm a worrier, I overthink everything and ger stressed easier than I should. I'm a relaxed person though. Go figure! I'm working to change it. This is stupid, and I know it is. I just wanted to talk about it.

5kgLifter 03-15-2014 01:26 PM

It's not stupid and it's impossible sometimes to explain things to the outsider; I have issues that I don't discuss here but deal (if that's even an adequate word) with them on a daily basis, like yourself.

It could be that because you consider them exercises that are not "allowed" for basketball that the mind has latched on to that feeling and is literally just playing games with you.

Isolation exercises, biceps, can't be a bad thing for basketball, I wouldn't think.

JumpmanRugs 03-15-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 464293)
It's not stupid and it's impossible sometimes to explain things to the outsider; I have issues that I don't discuss here but deal (if that's even an adequate word) with them on a daily basis, like yourself.

It could be that because you consider them exercises that are not "allowed" for basketball that the mind has latched on to that feeling and is literally just playing games with you.

Isolation exercises, biceps, can't be a bad thing for basketball, I wouldn't think.

That's what I thought. Surely more muscle / strength all over is better than not?! My mind is just being annoying.

It is every day though, It seems like mythoughts are more effort than they should be. Some people can relax and not think, I have never been able to that. My mind is constantly in overdive no matter what. I have to deal with things (As you said) and it sucks, but at the same time If i wasn't like that would my mindset towards other things be different? Tough one really!

5kgLifter 03-15-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JumpmanRugs (Post 464296)
That's what I thought. Surely more muscle / strength all over is better than not?! My mind is just being annoying.

It is every day though, It seems like mythoughts are more effort than they should be. Some people can relax and not think, I have never been able to that. My mind is constantly in overdive no matter what. I have to deal with things (As you said) and it sucks, but at the same time If i wasn't like that would my mindset towards other things be different? Tough one really!

I know what you mean, I hate it, tbh, fighting through every day...but I am who I am because of that as well, if that weren't part of my past, and now sadly part of the present, I might have become a person that even I wouldn't like...so many variables.

It is what it is and we deal with it, that's what ultimately counts :rockon:

JumpmanRugs 03-15-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 464298)
I know what you mean, I hate it, tbh, fighting through every day...but I am who I am because of that as well, if that weren't part of my past, and now sadly part of the present, I might have become a person that even I wouldn't like...so many variables.

It is what it is and we deal with it, that's what ultimately counts :rockon:


Exactly! I was curious if anybody else had dealt with something similar or had something like it! Curious if people do!

syn 03-15-2014 04:12 PM

I get it man.

We conversed briefly before on another tread, and came to the conclusion that the mind can be your own worse enemy.

Ill give you an example of what something that drives me crazy.

I work all week. & take on extra jobs outside of work to up-skill, some are favours.
when I get mentally fatigued, or even slightly unmotivated - I convince myself that I'm lazy and need to work harder.

I would then find hard to sleep that night if I didn't get the the extra work done,
and when I finally put down my tools - I cant relax and and unwind unless the job is complete.

JumpmanRugs 03-16-2014 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syn (Post 464331)
I get it man.

We conversed briefly before on another tread, and came to the conclusion that the mind can be your own worse enemy.

Ill give you an example of what something that drives me crazy.

I work all week. & take on extra jobs outside of work to up-skill, some are favours.
when I get mentally fatigued, or even slightly unmotivated - I convince myself that I'm lazy and need to work harder.

I would then find hard to sleep that night if I didn't get the the extra work done,
and when I finally put down my tools - I cant relax and and unwind unless the job is complete.

I remember conversing with you about things, yeah!

I do the same, I work at a conputer all day and get mentally drained and convince myself i'm not working hard enough even though I know I am! I'm the same and its really annoying.

I cannot seem to understand why I feel bad for hypertrophy based exercises though?! It's so stupid. I feel bad for imlrpving my physical condition lol. Such a weirdo aren't I haha! I can't figure this one out

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thorney 03-16-2014 05:20 AM

Literally slept about 4 hours last night because im aiming for a squat PR this morning, just could "switch off". "Breath, push abs into belt, sit down, drive" running on repeat through my mind.

Tannhauser 03-16-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JumpmanRugs (Post 464462)

I cannot seem to understand why I feel bad for hypertrophy based exercises though?! It's so stupid. I feel bad for imlrpving my physical condition lol. Such a weirdo aren't I haha! I can't figure this one out

Perhaps you have a tendency to internalise rules and advice very strongly. Any sense that you're deviating from these becomes anxiety-provoking.

I'll give you an example. My students are a few weeks from their exams. Tomorrow I will remind them that they should be doing around 4-5 hours a week independent study. Now some will ignore that guideline completely, and some will more-or-less follow it. But inevitably a small percentage will not only do it, but will obsess over it and be extremely anxious if they feel they're not doing enough. I can't stop them from taking the message to heart far too much. They over-learn social rules.

If you've had problems with eating in the past, perhaps there were similarities to your current preoccupation? So you want to get it right, and tend to treat 'getting it right' in very black and white terms - good food and bad food, good exercises and bad exercises? Just a thought.

I often think humans are a unique species in that we can have everything we need to thrive - food, a pleasant environment, work - and we still invent problems for ourselves. It's not just you. We all do it in different ways.

JumpmanRugs 03-16-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorney (Post 464481)
Literally slept about 4 hours last night because im aiming for a squat PR this morning, just could "switch off". "Breath, push abs into belt, sit down, drive" running on repeat through my mind.

That happens A LOT to me lol, hate it!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.