Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pros/Cons of Home & Gym Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16571)

BendtheBar 03-10-2014 09:30 AM

Pros/Cons of Home & Gym Training

Writing an article on the pros and cons of home AND gym training. Want to here what you think.

For example, pro of gym training is more available equipment.

Con of home training is that there is no spotter.

Con of home training, workouts can take longer because you need to switch dumbbells, etc (unless you have a ton of equipment).

afraziaaaa 03-10-2014 09:56 AM

Pros of home training:

No recurring cost outside of equipment purchases.

Can train anytime you want/need.

No rules to follow/no one else to consider except the people you live with.

Play whatever music you want.

No distractions.

You cut down drive time to the gym. If you are a parent of a young child, you don't have to leave the house or have someone else watch your kid(s).

Cons of home training:

Limited Space.

Have to purchase/build your own equipment.

Pros of gym training:

Supportive environment (in the right gym).

I think that's all I've got for now.

jrodt12 03-10-2014 10:36 AM

Well as I've said before the best thing about training at home is I'm always the biggest strongest guy in my gym :)

The downside is I usually do not have a spotter, and when I do it's my 110 lb fiancée.

Soldier 03-10-2014 10:38 AM

I don't have much time, so I may be back later to add more.

Actually, I find my sessions at home take less time. I don't have to worry about having what I need, and I never have to worry about finding alternative movements if the equipment I want isn't available.

Home gym pros-

MUSIC. music music music. I've never been to a gym where I could listen to NOFX without stupid headphones on.

No one ever wants to work in.

Air guitar/drums whever I feel like it without scaring the crossfit/cardio bunnies

Chains. I has them.

Chalk. Some gyms don't like it. I don't have to worry about it.

Oh, did I forget to put on a shirt? No worries.

Cons are pretty obvious. Not having access to machines is fine and even preferable most of the time, but machines can be very helpful to have when you really need them.

I'm extremely lucky. I have a totally workable home gym, but since I'm at an Army base I also have access to a number of gyms, including a functional fitness gym with bands, chalk, bumper plates and Oly platforms, and a traditional bodybuilding gym with tons of machines. I've actually done part of a session at one gym, then gone to another gym to complete the session. I'm gonna be really bummed when I have to pay for a membership at a single gym. But I won't be that bummed, because I'll be out of the Army.

syn 03-10-2014 10:54 AM

for me its mostly pros

I like not having to wait around for people to finish with equipment

I can train before or after work without adding travel time to my day

I can eat straight after training if I want.

the only con that is really cold in winter, as my home gym is under a shelter outdoors

moeheep 03-10-2014 10:57 AM

Pro - You can curl in the squat rack!

5kgLifter 03-10-2014 11:03 AM

I may have less than minimal equipment, no rack etc, but I can do whatever the hell exercises I like without being told "we don't allow exercises: x, y, z,..." :)

glwanabe 03-10-2014 12:14 PM

The pro versus con of either is double edged sword. You can look at one persons pro list and it will contain many items that are a con to somebody else. That said I prefer home training.

My pro's include many of the items already talked about in regard to home training.

An aspect that wasn't mentioned is that I have a limited selection of equipment as compared to a gym with all sorts of shiny machines. This to me is a Pro aspect of training at home. Having a limited amount of equipment makes me work on a more basic level and utilize core moves.

Not having a spotter is both good and bad. Not having a spotter means that I have to pay attention to whether or not I can finish a rep that might put me in a bad situation should I fail. Trng to failure is not an important aspect to me so all is good in that regard.

Not waiting for equipment is a HUGE issue for me, and trng at home allows me to get in and get out on my own terms faster. Having eqpt at home does take up some space but it isnt a big issue.

I don't play music anymore while I lift, and I've found the quiet to be a very good thing. I missed it at first, but after a few weeks the quiet allowed me to hear an inner voice that was being drowned out. Now I relish the quiet, and the alone time to be with my own thoughts.

EliteDreams 03-10-2014 12:43 PM

Some of these will add to what Syn and Gl said.

Home gym pros

No distractions. I can breath heavy and roll my eyes back and grit my teeth, and when I look up there aren't a bunch of kids staring at me like wtf.

Not having a spotter has made it so I havent went for maxes on bench, which im horrible for doing too often, but its not hindered me at all.

Yeah its cold outside or heavy rain stops me, and I have to pay up front for equipment, but all I need is my bar and plates.

BendtheBar 03-10-2014 02:04 PM

Thanks and bump.