Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Life Got in the way, coming back soon... considering 5/3/1, halp (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16567)

Gorship 03-09-2014 10:20 PM

Life Got in the way, coming back soon... considering 5/3/1, halp

Hey! Been busy with work, had to grab a second job, hopefully soon things will settle and I can jam in an hour to get into the gym and make it happen. The thing is that my lovely hepburn routine as great as it is, takes a long time. So i have been checking out other ideas, its fun to shake things up, but I need something for the long haul. While im not an ultra competitive powerlifter, I love the powerlifting mentality and culture and it feels like 5/3/1 may be a good fit for me its not specific to a powerlifting style (i think 3/5/1 is out for that) but still focuses on conditioning and strength building. Wendler seems to have the mind set that if your not done in an hour something is right etc. Curious on your feedback on it. This is what I am thinking of starting up... after I spend a couple weeks doing full bodys just rewarming up the body to the barbell.

5/3/1 - using "boring but big" the second round of the main lift is at most 50%-60% of training max and you can pyramid down too, still hard, but shouldnt be an injury waiting to happen

Warm up before I leave for the gym ill try to do the agile 8.
day 1
Military press 5/3/1
military press 5x10
pull down (cant do chin ups yet) 5x10

day 2
Deadlift 5/3/1
Deadlift 5x10
Side bends DB 5X10 each side

day 3
Bench press - 5/3/1
5x10 bench
Kroc rows 5x10

day 4
squat 5/3/1
squat 5x10
SDL 5x10

This was made with the information out of the 2nd ed book, it looks daunting and it is.. but the way wendler explains how to tackle the second set of the main lift, makes it look doable.

Thoughts?

edit: For conditioning, on my off days I want to start walking lots. If its something I really pick up, Ill invest in a weighted vest to use with it, and go for ~45-1hr long walks in the am.
edit2: posted below is the revision to this... i quite like it. thoughts welcomed.

Dray 03-09-2014 11:12 PM

Just a few thoughts that come to mind. But be aware that while I've done 5/3/1 before, I'm still pretty much only just an intermediate lifter, as far as I can tell. ;) So hopefully I know what I'm talking about here, heh...

1. I recommend doing BBB the other way Wendler suggests (i.e., with the BBB sets swapped around, so day 1 would be press 5/3/1 followed by bench BBB, etc.)

2. If you can't do even 1 chinup yet, I would work on that immediately. Try slow, controlled negatives until you can do 1 rep, then keep doing singles whenever you can - all the time, basically. Work towards 2 reps, and so on. But sure, also do pulldowns for now.

3. And lastly (as well as least), I'm not sure side bends are the best supplementary lift for deadlifts. Maybe just a standard issue abs exercise instead?

Oh, and so-called "Kroc Rows" are just a single set with a lot of reps, after a warmup. Not 5x10, say. For what it's worth - personally, I think the interwebs have gone crazy with all these cutesy little names for basic lifts, with some arbitrary specificity tacked on... :p So yeah, it's "DB rows".

edit: Also, I would look at the "Beyond 5/3/1" book, in case something takes your fancy there. There's a ton of different approaches and options, some of which are great, IMO.

Gorship 03-09-2014 11:20 PM

the kroc rows i say on the youtubes looked like they were for sets and reps, only difference was you let the shoulder drop down for a stretch in the back? regardless i was just thinking a db row.

i was looking at side bends just for something with weight for abs to get something abdominal in there. Maybe throwing my ab roller in my gym bag doing 5x15 with that is an alternative as well.

can you help me with your first point though, bit confused, so a day would like

bench 531
Assistance
bench 5x10

Dray 03-09-2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorship (Post 462663)
the kroc rows i say on the youtubes looked like they were for sets and reps, only difference was you let the shoulder drop down for a stretch in the back? regardless i was just thinking a db row.

Eh, either way. Just a pet peeve of mine (the whole dumb names thing, not your post at all). :p

Quote:

i was looking at side bends just for something with weight for abs to get something abdominal in there. Maybe throwing my ab roller in my gym bag doing 5x15 with that is an alternative as well.
That sounds like a great option to me, but in the end, whatever works best for you is best of course. Just opining.

Quote:

can you help me with your first point though, bit confused, did he switch the days around? what is changed exactly.
He generally gives two ways of doing 5/3/1 with BBB sets. The first is the one you posted. The second is like so:

Press 5/3/1
Bench BBB
etc.

Deadlift 5/3/1
Squat BBB
etc.

Bench 5/3/1
Press BBB
etc.

Squat 5/3/1
Deadlift BBB
etc.

Gorship 03-09-2014 11:38 PM

hm guess im not sure what the difference is as bench BBB is benching at 5 sets of 10 as far as i know.

Edit, I do see that he allows you to switch which BBB you use... im guessing this is what you meant but im just slow. so for bench day you could do 5x10 presses, and swap dl and squats etc.. may be a good way to keep it fresh.

Gorship 03-10-2014 12:57 AM

Also I see here the 3/5/1 route... gives you some max pulls on week 1 and 3... that could be fun with the BBB system mixed up a bit... deload every 6 weeks... i think we're on to something here.

Gorship 03-10-2014 01:16 AM

ok revision 1.1

So the 3/5/1 idea looks really nice, I like the idea of consistently going for a strong pull. For me that will keep me really motivated.

So basic notes:
At 6weeks Deload using 5/5/5 @ 50-60-70%
Weeks 1 and 3 will go for 1XAMRAP (deadlifts I will do singles and reset on)
weeks 2 will follow "first set last" and do 3x3 at 70% with pausing to help learn to get out of the hole.

Week 1
3x3 (70-80-90) + TM @ AMRAP
Week 2
3x5 (65-75-90) + first set last @ 70%
week 3
5/3/1 (75-85-95) + TM @ AMRAP

Press Day:
Mill Pres 3/5/1
Bench 5x10
pull down 5x10

Deadlift day:
Deadlift 3/5/1
squat 5x10
ab roll out 5x15

bench:
Bench press - 5/3/1
5x10 press
Kroc rows 5x10

squat:
squat 5/3/1
DL 5x10
Goblet squats 5x10

KHVNTHOLOGY 03-10-2014 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dray (Post 462667)
Press 5/3/1
Bench BBB
etc.

Deadlift 5/3/1
Squat BBB
etc.

Bench 5/3/1
Press BBB
etc.

Squat 5/3/1
Deadlift BBB
etc.

I second this in putting DL assistance in the SQ day and vice versa.
Also if you have special bars such as a trap or safety squat bar you can use these as the variants to spice up your training
Just my 2 cents :sm3: