Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Switching Deadlift Stance to improve lift? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16555)

Shorts 03-07-2014 11:35 AM

Switching Deadlift Stance to improve lift?

I have a weak lockout (which, I believe, are due to weak hips) when I am pulling conventional. I have more power and strength pulling conventional so I don't see myself switch over to sumo for competition.

However, I have been toying around with the idea to work the sumo stance during my training while I am not peaking for a meet. For guys that compete, do you see any benefits in this? I was thinking this may help improve my lockout in the long run.

If not, what suggestions do you have to improve the lockout? Rack pulls, or something else?

Thanks everyone!

Davis 03-07-2014 12:08 PM

I've used the sumo stance after my squats for periods of weeks, and I believe it helped both my conventional stance and my squat. It's worth trying at least.

J_Byrd 03-07-2014 12:45 PM

Yes, that is one of the first things a coach would program for you.

Shorts 03-07-2014 01:00 PM

Thanks guys, I definitely think I am at the point where focusing solely on rep work and adding weight is not going to cut it to improve my lifts. So, I have been looking hard at my weak points and trying to address them while not peaking.

Thanks for the input! Being a coach (even to just yourself like I am) is a great learning experience.

J_Byrd 03-07-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorts (Post 462102)
Thanks guys, I definitely think I am at the point where focusing solely on rep work and adding weight is not going to cut it to improve my lifts. So, I have been looking hard at my weak points and trying to address them while not peaking.

Thanks for the input! Being a coach (even to just yourself like I am) is a great learning experience.

yeah i was getting killed at lockout with my sumo pulls. Was forced to do a cycle of nothing but 4-6in block pulls with a conventional stance along with a ton of upper back work. Fixed my issues.

It is amazing what other people see that you miss. I would have prob never fixed my issues.

Shorts 03-07-2014 01:58 PM

I definitely agree, input is always welcome and encouraged from my end. That's why I try to video all my training sessions.

I also have added a lot of upper back work in so hopefully that will assist my lockout as well. Thanks JB!

TomGJD 03-07-2014 06:48 PM

Great advice already given to you here. I just wanted to answer your question about the lockout. I found the best assistance for my lockour are long rom powershrugs. Pulling the bar from a few inches below the knee up into a shrug. When I get stronger at these my deads go up as well.

Thorney 03-12-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomGJD (Post 462175)
Great advice already given to you here. I just wanted to answer your question about the lockout. I found the best assistance for my lockour are long rom powershrugs. Pulling the bar from a few inches below the knee up into a shrug. When I get stronger at these my deads go up as well.

same here, when my shrug increases so does my pull

BendtheBar 03-12-2014 10:41 AM

My 3 to 5 inch lockouts were always weak. It wasn't until I gave a good 3 year run of rack pulls switching between these 2 heights (half the time with chains) that it came around.

My lockout is now my strongest part of the pull.

OneMorePlate 03-12-2014 05:31 PM

Use to pull both ways would make one the focus while the other was accessory. Heavier for the primary lift that was pulled off blocks starting from 8" down to 2". This recipe made the best strength gains I've ever experienced.

IE:
This is an 8 week DL meet prep.
Sumo Pull Primary
670 off 8" blocks

Assistance work was in the 65-75% range 2-4 sets 6-10r
405 x 10 tng reps or did dimel DL, SLDL

Drop an 1" per session on Primary lift.

Weight selection was by bar speed and how my cns felt, sometimes could work up to the same weight at the lower Box height other times I had to adjust 25lbs + -.

You could just run it in reverse order( Primary Conv/Assistance Sumo) since you pull conventional for meets.

When my knee is good to go you will see this exact approach in my log.