Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   old one - new comer - never too late (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16199)

stef56 01-26-2014 01:27 PM

old one - new comer - never too late

Hi all, Hi BBOD,

I'm 38, startded lifting weights at 20 and never really quit for long, but also was never consistent enough to make good progress, while i'm still motivated, wich is kind of creazy if you think about my lake of strenght and mass compared to the years involved !
I read a lot about boydbuilding and found some sense in guys like Stuart McRobert, Mike Mentzer, Jim wendler, and every other guys who are in the "less is more" and "get strong to get big" thing, but i was never really able to apply the methodology, or at least make it work for me.
Nowadays i train at home in my garage with only a power rack and bars. I didn't do anything else than abbreviated workouts using Squat, deadlift, bench, press, rows, pull ups, and dips for at least 3 years, but am still ridiculously weak (and light) !

I'm currently 5.10 and 170 pounds.
I never went higher than
-squat: 265X5
-bench: 170X5
-press: 100X5
-deadlift: 300X5

BBOD, I saw your Videos on youtube, and felt really connected to your thinking, that's why i'm here today.

I'll soon post some questions...
any advise is welcome

note: I'm French, so please excuse me for my bad english :)

thanks

Stef

BendtheBar 01-26-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stef56 (Post 451303)
Hi all, Hi BBOD,

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:

I read a lot about boydbuilding and found some sense in guys like Stuart McRobert, Mike Mentzer, Jim wendler, and every other guys who are in the "less is more" and "get strong to get big" thing, but i was never really able to apply the methodology, or at least make it work for me.
Ok. There could be many reasons for this. Consistency, net strength changes and food play a huge role.

Quote:

Nowadays i train at home in my garage with only a power rack and bars. I didn't do anything else than abbreviated workouts using Squat, deadlift, bench, press, rows, pull ups, and dips for at least 3 years, but am still ridiculously weak (and light) !
Time and that extra rep and pound per week will cure this.

Quote:

BBOD, I saw your Videos on youtube, and felt really connected to your thinking, that's why i'm here today.
Welcome aboard. This site is all about results. We will help you in any way we can.

Quote:

any advise is welcome
My main advise is to maximize every set, and use a workout that fits your schedule. It's better to train with fewer days and remain consistent than it is to try and train more and miss workouts.

5kgLifter 01-26-2014 03:22 PM

Hi :)

stef56 01-27-2014 03:15 PM

2 days/week- A/B workout sounds good for me. That way i can be consistent, move a workout from one day to another, according to job and other obligations...but i'm quite lost with some basic principles:

-work up to a top set/as much rep as possible ? add back off set ? why ?
is ONLY ONE TOP SET really that productive ?
or
-multiple sets accross ? like 3X5: but first set is easy, second set harder, 3d set really hard.. then why not maxing on reps right from the first set ?

and also about cycling effort:
-Wendler says to start light and add weight progressively...OK but it is always "as much rep as possible" so intensity is cycled, but intensiveness is not ?
-McRobert or Starting strength say to use a target rep count, take it easy on the first workouts then work harder until plateau...working like that i feel like the first workout serve nothing, and i plateau at the same weight each time

and last about food:
really, I CAN'T arrange to eat solid meals 4/6 times a day, I DO NOT have time. is MILK in large amount a so good supplementation, i have one to 2 quarts of whole milk a day on top of 2/3 solid meals, lunch and dinner being the biggest.

i'm visiting the Forum, but it is very dense, with lot of threads. Am i supposed to try to find some info in there, or can i just ask some questions in new threads ?

thanks

Stef

5kgLifter 01-27-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stef56 (Post 451656)
...or can i just ask some questions in new threads ?

thanks

Stef

Yep, you can do that :rockon: