Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Fixing forward lean on the squat (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16046)

Kleurplaay 01-10-2014 05:26 PM

Fixing forward lean on the squat
 
In the year that I've now been squatting, there has never been a time where my squat was actually limited by how strong my legs are. The dealbreaker is always me folding over and I really don't know how to fix it.

I've tried different foot stances, keep my elbows under the bar and keep my back as tight as I can.

Any theories, tips or just random thoughts are greatly appreciated.

bigalfry 01-10-2014 06:11 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been squatting for years but I've never really pushed my squat until the last 6 months. If I do manage to squat to parallel my back rounds, I bend forward, and the weight is on my toes. No matter how tight I keep my back, It's always a choice over staying upright, or hitting parallel I'm incapable of doing both.
I've been doing some extensive research (read: I googled it to death) and I'm convinced that in my case it's a hip mobility issue. I've got an appointment with a chiropractor/ART (active release technique) therapist on the 20th and I'm hoping that he can help me out.

5kgLifter 01-10-2014 06:18 PM

Are you using any sort of heel, Oly shoes, or just flat soled shoes when squatting?

If the latter, you may benefit from a slight heel.

fenrisulfr 01-10-2014 06:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX7nEZFRBi4
I believe he talks about forward lean.

moeheep 01-10-2014 07:01 PM

low barsquats cured my forward leaning

Kleurplaay 01-10-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 446221)
Are you using any sort of heel, Oly shoes, or just flat soled shoes when squatting?

If the latter, you may benefit from a slight heel.

Already squatting in Power Perfect II's

Quote:

Originally Posted by moeheep (Post 446236)
low barsquats cured my forward leaning

I just can't seem to comfortably get the bar behind my traps, but maybe it's something I should practice.

fenrisulfr 01-10-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleurplaay (Post 446241)

I just can't seem to comfortably get the bar behind my traps, but maybe it's something I should practice.

It takes a couple sessions. It hurt me pretty bad at first. But went away quickly.

J_Byrd 01-10-2014 09:28 PM

Send me a video and I'll help. Might be something you are missing.

Ramrod 01-10-2014 09:30 PM

Shoulder Dislocations help big time with Low Bar...

Do more Front Squats... many times the forward lean is from a Weak back. Front Squats force you to stay tight. Also Goblet Squats are good too.

Kleurplaay 01-11-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 446263)
Shoulder Dislocations help big time with Low Bar...

Do more Front Squats... many times the forward lean is from a Weak back. Front Squats force you to stay tight. Also Goblet Squats are good too.

I always thought I actually have a pretty strong back, but have recently started regularly doing safety bar squats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 446261)
Send me a video and I'll help. Might be something you are missing.

I'll try to get a set filmed next time


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.