Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Mobility work for a better deadlift starting position? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16024)

Kleurplaay 01-07-2014 07:25 PM

Mobility work for a better deadlift starting position?

What areas of the body should one stretch to easier and better get into the starting position for the deadlift?

I already regularly stretch the hamstrings (among other stretches that aren't necessarily beneficial for the deadlift).

I have a hard time bringing my hips down and maintaining a neutral spine.

Davis 01-08-2014 01:54 AM

Do you do any hip mobility work? Do you do anything to stretch your groin? Other than that, do you actually have a hard time getting into position as you say? Or is it a matter of your hips rising too fast at the start of the lift?

Bill 01-08-2014 08:25 AM

video?

you may have poor leverages for pulling and are ultimately screwed. when i pull conventional, in order to get my hips and be able to use them, my back is almost parallel to the floor. if i try to start like an oly lifter starts a jerk, i am so far behind the bar that my hips shoot first.

sumo is a bit better, however when the weights get heavier, my low back does most of the work. i think relatively long femurs in proportion to my other joints makes it so my hips are too far back in the correct starting position.

Kleurplaay 01-08-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davis (Post 445075)
Do you do any hip mobility work? Do you do anything to stretch your groin? Other than that, do you actually have a hard time getting into position as you say? Or is it a matter of your hips rising too fast at the start of the lift?

I do some bodyweight squats at varying stance widths everyday before bed if that counts as groin stretching? Yes I have a hard time getting into the bottom position.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 445122)
video?

you may have poor leverages for pulling and are ultimately screwed. when i pull conventional, in order to get my hips and be able to use them, my back is almost parallel to the floor. if i try to start like an oly lifter starts a jerk, i am so far behind the bar that my hips shoot first.

sumo is a bit better, however when the weights get heavier, my low back does most of the work. i think relatively long femurs in proportion to my other joints makes it so my hips are too far back in the correct starting position.

I have decent leverages for conventional, pretty long legs but also long arms.

Will edit post and add video when I get home, thanks guys.

EDIT: the guy deadlifting after the squats in the beginning is me. First time doing heavy deads without straps so thats part of the reason I take so much time in between reps.

Davis 01-08-2014 01:20 PM

Really, your starting position looks fine. Try deadlifting without a belt with lighter weight. Do you still feel like you can't get into position then? Second, it looks like you might let the bar drift forward some. Start hammering away bent over rows as strict as possible. That should help. As far as hips, light good mornings, focusing on pushing your hips back should help. Remember, you're not necessarily leaning over in a good morning, but pushing your hips back. Finally, start with leg swings, bird dogs, and some glute activation exercises. I have found doing all of that regularly along with my squats, Deads, whatever, allows me to stay "loose" and mobile.