Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Possible to run Wendler 531 as an ABA program? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15891)

Conan 12-24-2013 01:58 PM

Possible to run Wendler 531 as an ABA program?

Would like some input on the feasibility of running Wendler as an ABA as presented below:

A workout

Military 531 sets
Deadlift 531 sets
assistance

B workout

Squat 531
Bench press 531
Assistance

I was thinking to finish an entire cycle in two weeks (ABABAB) minus deloads (for a while). I know some may (rightfully) frown at this but I am still relatively weak and believe I can run quite a few cycles before stalling: I am 5ft 9 inchesat a body weight of 100kg and my next wendler cycle- which is my second- I would be doing military @ 59tm, dl @ 137.5tm, bp @ 92.5tm and squat@ 95tm; it would take another 3-5 cycles to reach my 'true' lower body TMs and about 6 for my upper body lifts.

Would such an approach be a viable alternative for a late beginner/early intermediate as opposed to going totally linear with SS? Has anybody done 531 as an ABA program?

Conan

BendtheBar 12-24-2013 02:07 PM

Yes, absolutely. Just structure your assistance work accordingly so that it balances out to about what you would be doing on a once a week 531.

If you were doing 4x8 squats after the 531, split that up into a 2x8 each day following the 531, and so on.

BigJosh 12-24-2013 02:47 PM

If I remember correctly Wendler actually outlines a 5/3/1 A/B program in the book. And I'm pretty sure there have been a few guys here to run it. You may try searching around the logs.
When I get a chance I'll reference the book and lay it out for you, if you don't have access to it yourself. It may not be today though, kind of busy :)

Henry19 12-24-2013 04:14 PM

Wendler also has a 3-day 5/3/1 program, which would be a good alternate if you want a bit more variability and don't need that type of frequency. Otherwise, as a natural and beginner or intermediate lifter, I'd go with Steve's post.

Conan 12-25-2013 06:31 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will take on board what Btb said regarding spreading the assistance work for the week.

As for Bigjosh, I ain't come across an AB 531 variation whilst reading Wendler's works- however it could be out there somewhere.

Henry, I do like Wendler's 3 day programs such as 531 for beginners, fullbody full boring and his other fullbody stuff that's in the 2nd edition; I'm hoping to move to one of them once I've given this AB variation a good run and do a reset.

Conan

Bill 12-25-2013 09:54 PM

I am doing a two day split that I found on tnation. .it incorporates a backdown set of as many reps as possible or rest pause, plus rest pause on the assistance