Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Bodybuilding VS Body Type (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15854)

Adamite1114 12-19-2013 11:45 PM

Bodybuilding VS Body Type

Hey guys just wanted to get your opinion on something. Apparently everyone has a certain body type, endomorph, mesomorph and so on. I am a endomorph. And my question to you guys is, how crucial is your body type? Will it make or break your training? Should you always be training specifically to your body type? If you're A body type and you want to build strength and/or muscle, will you have to train differently from b and c?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

EliteDreams 12-19-2013 11:55 PM

No sir. BtB used to have a small frame :)

Cutty 12-19-2013 11:55 PM

There will be better/more in depth responses, but training is training. As long as you keep adding weight to the bar or reps to your sets and consistently train and eat right.. You're going to get stronger and build muscle.

Cutty

BendtheBar 12-20-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamite1114 (Post 438589)
Hey guys just wanted to get your opinion on something. Apparently everyone has a certain body type, endomorph, mesomorph and so on. I am a endomorph. And my question to you guys is, how crucial is your body type? Will it make or break your training? Should you always be training specifically to your body type? If you're A body type and you want to build strength and/or muscle, will you have to train differently from b and c?

Here is an except from an article I wrote:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exp...lding-genetics

Quote:

It has become a common belief in muscle building circles that each of us fits into only one of these somatotypes. Nothing could be further from the truth, nor the intent of Sheldon's system.

We are to be rated as a combination of all 3 somatotypes, somewhat like the numbers on a combination lock. Each of us is assigned a number ranging from a low of 1 to a high of 7 for each body type. A pure ectomorph would be rated as a 1-1-7, a pure endomorph as a 7-1-1 and a pure mesomorph as a 1-7-1.

In reality there are very few "pure" ecto, meso or endos. You are likely to be rated something like a 2-5-3, or a 6-2-2. What most of us think of as a pure ectomorph is in reality an individual with ectomorphic tendencies that outshadow his mesomorphic and ectomorphic tendencies. The same goes for mesos and endos.

William Herbert Sheldon also noted that body type tendencies could be masked by situational factors. For example, an endomorph who is undereating, or who has a fast metabolism and is struggling to intake a quality amount of daily calories, may start to resemble an ectomorph.

BendtheBar 12-20-2013 12:03 AM

And a bit more...

Quote:

William Herbert Sheldon also noted that body type tendencies could be masked by situational factors. For example, an endomorph who is undereating, or who has a fast metabolism and is struggling to intake a quality amount of daily calories, may start to resemble an ectomorph.

Your somatotype tendency can also be masked by training, current lean body mass and/or body composition. This means that a lifter with ectomorphic tendencies that does everything right in the gym and at the dinner table might be labeled as a natural mesomorph by his peers. On the opposite end of the spectrum, a mesomorph who is putting little effort into his training, and undereating (say with the goal of seeing his six pack abs) might end up looking more like an ectomorph than a meso.

It should be obvious at this point that your somatotype combination can be changed. Bone size and limb length won't change, but body composition and muscularity can morph your somatotypic combination.

Some interesting facts regarding somatotyping should be pointed out. It is up to you to decide their importance and relevance.

William Herbert Sheldon was a psychologist, not a biologist or doctor.
Somatotype combinations were used as a vehicle by Sheldon to determine your personality type.
Those with mesomorphic tendencies were considered likely to commit aggressive and violent actions.
Sheldon's models are based off of male body types only.
Sheldon believed that beliefs, motivation and attitude were rooted in in your somatotype combination.
Many of William Herbert Sheldon's modern peers consider his theories to be not only outdated but verging on quackery.
Does this mean that somatotyping for bodybuilding is useless? No, not really. If we set aside the tie-in with personality tendencies, we are still left with an interesting and somewhat valid system of determining an individual's body type.

On the other hand, the actual determination of the somatotype combination is, by nature, subjective.

BendtheBar 12-20-2013 12:05 AM

Bottom line, train the same. You can only focus on what you can control. You can't base training on a set of what ifs.

My wrist size is very small. 6.3 inches when lean. I was told I could never be as strong as the top tier guys. I nearly had a raw 1900 total this year at the age of 46.

Heart is all that matters. Go get what you want.

Adamite1114 12-20-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 438597)
Heart is all that matters. Go get what you want.

I will!
Thanks guys this has been a great help.

Dray 12-20-2013 12:06 AM

edit: what BtB said.

BigJosh 12-20-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamite1114 (Post 438589)
Hey guys just wanted to get your opinion on something. Apparently everyone has a certain body type, endomorph, mesomorph and so on. I am a endomorph. And my question to you guys is, how crucial is your body type?

Crucial, as in how it impacts your training, ability to build muscle, gain strength, stay lean, etc is what I believe you are asking. I think it has some impact. It's easier for an ectomorph to stay lean that it is for a endomorph, while it's easier for an endomorph to pack on mass than it is for an ectomorph. Easier relatively speaking. Easier probably isn't the best word. A better way to put it would be one body type is more inclined than the other. However, this doesn't mean an endomorph can be/get/stay lean and doesn't mean an ectomorph can't have/add/keep mass. I believe in the end that's a matter of how we eat. But, I personally know ectomorphs who don't have to work as hard or be meticulous with their diet to stay lean and endomorphs who don't have to "eat as hard" to gain mass. Me personally leaning more towards the endomorph side of things.
But these are extreme's. And in the end how you eat will overcome your natural body type.
Just my opinion
Quote:

Will it make or break your training? Should you always be training specifically to your body type? If you're A body type and you want to build strength and/or muscle, will you have to train differently from b and c?

NO. Imo, training approaches shouldn't and don't need to be based on body type. The basic and proper fundamentals will work across the board.

CountryFriedMuscle 12-20-2013 12:24 AM

I agree with what everyone else has said; training should not differ. Get bigger, get stronger, pretty simple and those are the things you can control. However, I will say that if you are looking to compete at specific things, in this case bodybuilding, having certain features makes it easier/harder.

For instance, I could probably never hack it as a bodybuilder. I am too short, have a gigantic ass and a big waist, thick torso with no V taper. I am a wreck for most bodybuilding aesthetic features and have been since before i touched a weight. However, letting a predetermined thing like body type stop you from chasing something is just silly. Bust ass and get better, thats all that anyone can do.