Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trainer showing new client how to squat and deadlift.. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15737)

Mrinda87 12-06-2013 04:08 PM

Trainer showing new client how to squat and deadlift..

was at gym the other day and overheard a trainer explaining to a new client how to squat and deadlift and was amazed at how he was doing so..saying your lower leg should remain up and down and not bend forward at all when squatting and you should only go as low as you can keep your shin straight up and down. For deadlifts he said all the same rules apply only the weight is infront if you now and that the deadlift is just a squat with the weight in your hand.anyone else heard some wacky information from trainers in the gym before?

Hunterace 12-06-2013 04:10 PM

Nope, but not surprised another certified idiot is training people to hurt themselves!

Mrinda87 12-06-2013 04:21 PM

I feel bad for these people spending money on this stuff! I haven't been lifting long at all and am 100% more aware then some of these trainers who have been doing this for years and are suppose to be experts.

5kgLifter 12-06-2013 04:23 PM

I ended up injured at my gym/fitness centre induction (which everyone has to do) because the "trainer" did not explain correct technique, or he didn't know it possibly, when trying the leg press for the very first time; up until that point, home training only with barbells and dumbbells and being self-taught, I'd had not a single injury.

The mind boggles.

Mrinda87 12-06-2013 04:28 PM

I feel like everyone starting off with the right drive and mindset is way better off researching on their own and self teaching lifts by watching alot of vids and such than hiring a random trainer at a fitness center.

afraziaaaa 12-06-2013 04:39 PM

I have been lifting for over 15 years and have never once hired a trainer. Waste of money in my opinion.

I have a buddy that counsels people in his gym for free. They will hire a trainer, then see him lifting (he is the biggest guy in the gym...it's a fitness center and he is 260 at 10% body fat) and ask him what to do. He shares whatever information which almost always contradicts the trainers or at least exposes their lack of knowledge. Two people at that gym have fired their trainer because of him. I feel like he does a great service to aspiring lifters there, haha.

And surprisingly, they have not revoked his membership yet.

Mrinda87 12-06-2013 04:49 PM

Sounds great! Haha

TDawg75 12-06-2013 05:49 PM

I need some serious help with my dl. I have been wanting to get a trainer to help me just a little with it, but haven't because I can't find one who is a powerlifter or competing bb'er. I feel one of those two would be much more beneficial to my cause than one of those fitness-only freaks. I've seen several "trainers" that need a little training themselves.

SCStrong 12-06-2013 05:56 PM

there is huge difference between a qualified coach and a certified trainer most folks would better to avoid the "trainers" altogether

flexerjoe 12-06-2013 06:09 PM

just like anything though, lot of people out there selling themselves as "experts"