Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lifts from the Man Cave...Here we go! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15627)

Booch10 11-25-2013 11:57 AM

Lifts from the Man Cave...Here we go!

After a couple of years of learning technique and building a base using StrongLifts 5x5, I decided to push myself out of my comfort zone to see what I'm capable of.

I work out from my basement which is a blessing and a curse. No excuses to miss a workout, no waiting for a bench and I can play my disturbing music, but I have no one to spot me, no one to criticize my form and no one to call me a wuss for holding back on a lift.

This is my plan for the next 13 or so weeks starting today
Monday - Squat 5x5
Tuesday - Bench 5x5
Wednesday - DeadLift 3x5
Thursday - Squat 80% of Monday's 5x5
Friday - Bench 80% of Tuesday's 5X5

If I complete a 5x5, i will go up 5-10 lbs the next week.
All preceded by 15 minutes of cardio and stretching

Starting weight for 5x5 is 305 Squat, 255 BP and 235 DL - I know I could go higher, but I figure there is no rush and Ill keep my form decent and my injuries non existent if possible.

Anyway, please pass along any suggestions/tips/criticism.. all will be appreciated
Happy Lifting - Booch

bruteforce 11-25-2013 01:18 PM

Looks like a good time. Get it!

Squatter 11-25-2013 01:35 PM

We'll be happy to criticize your form if you post up vids of your lifts:) I post up vids of many of my lifts for my own self critique and reference, and others are always welcome to chime in if they see something.

Plan looks good and wish you all the best progression. Any accessory work planned?

Booch10 11-25-2013 01:58 PM

I have been doing BB bent over rows and barbell curls on DL day, Shoulder press on Squat days and Tricep Cable presses on BP days. All 5X5 as well. I will probably continue with this and maybe vary it here and there to keep things interesting.

What are your thoughts on accessory exercises?

Squatter 11-25-2013 02:14 PM

My thoughts regarding assistance lifts center around the thought that they should be selected based on the fact they will help you increase one of the big 3 - squat, bench, and deadlift. Some are staples really tho, such as rows. Everyone has a different weakness to work on as well, so lifts like Floor Press could also be chosen. I think all of us would be wells erved if we put more thought into our accessory work.:)

BendtheBar 11-25-2013 09:27 PM

Looks good to me. Go tear it up.

Booch10 11-25-2013 09:28 PM

11/25/13
10 minute treadmill walk at 3.5mph and stretching

Squat Warm-up 135x8,185x5, 225x5, 275x5,
Squat 305 5x5

Standing shoulder press 5 x 45,65, 95, and 105.
More stretching.

Having a little trouble getting thighs to parallel, but I think it's just a flexibility problem I have to work on. Felt good though, and can add 10 lbs next week.

Squatter 11-26-2013 10:14 AM

What helped me train my depth was doing squat stretches - any time I could every day. Assume a regular squat stance and position, squat down using BW only, concentrating on spreading the floor with the knees as you descend, pause in hole as far as you can go down, clasp hands together with elbows against knees and push them out slightly. Hold this for about 5 seconds, and repeat. Like I said, do this often, such as during commercials on TV or breaks at work, etc.

BendtheBar 11-26-2013 10:19 AM

Big squatting. Nice work.

Booch10 11-26-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squatter (Post 431026)
What helped me train my depth was doing squat stretches - any time I could every day. Assume a regular squat stance and position, squat down using BW only, concentrating on spreading the floor with the knees as you descend, pause in hole as far as you can go down, clasp hands together with elbows against knees and push them out slightly. Hold this for about 5 seconds, and repeat. Like I said, do this often, such as during commercials on TV or breaks at work, etc.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try and add it to my stretching routine. I'm so close, but not quite there. I made a video of one of my sets last night where you can see what I'm talking about. I'll put it up when I figure out how to convert the MP4 file to a file type I can use on this site.