Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Deadlift pre-roll (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15522)

5kgLifter 11-16-2013 07:03 PM

Deadlift pre-roll

Watching the meet, today, as well as other meets, I see some lifters pre-roll the barbell out then back, and then go straight in to their lift.

Does anyone think that the momentum created from the pre-roll and roll back toward the body gives an added momentum at the start of the lift, giving a possible advantage even if only minimal at the starting point of the deadlift?

Just curious as to your thoughts and whether anyone has tried both the static and more dynamic start to the lift for comparison, even at a lesser level than a max lift.

Hunterace 11-16-2013 07:19 PM

I asked Steve about this a long time ago and there's no advantage, just personal preference.

1morerep 11-16-2013 07:42 PM

There Is an article in powerliftingwatch about roll or not the bar during deadlift. I still thinking is about momentum and body tigthness but timing must be perfect too.

*a body that is in motion tend to remain in motion...or something like that. By the way...does not works with me.

MadScientistOfMaB 11-16-2013 07:51 PM

In a physics class in college and from what I have learned there is no difference as far as weight is concerned. All of the kinetic energy is in the x direction and so it doesnt have a component in the y direction.

It could however be a cue. A lot of powerlifters are ritualistic about their lifts. It may just be doing the same thing the same way every time that is important.

1morerep 11-16-2013 08:08 PM

There is a cue and that's what I meant by the timing must be perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadScientistOfMaB (Post 427727)
In a physics class in college and from what I have learned there is no difference as far as weight is concerned. All of the kinetic energy is in the x direction and so it doesnt have a component in the y direction.

It could however be a cue. A lot of powerlifters are ritualistic about their lifts. It may just be doing the same thing the same way every time that is important.

1morerep 11-16-2013 08:15 PM

...by the way, and assuming that rolling the bar is purely mental and ritual alike...who is going to tell Benedikt Magnusson that when he rolls the bar has no effect on his 1100lbs deadlift...? Lol. Probably just preference.

bamazav 11-17-2013 08:04 AM

It is like playing the outfield and catching with one hand while sporting a stylish beard (Go Sox), it can be done but is not the best way for a youngster to go, use two hands dude. The problem I see is what I have seen in other sports. "The pros do it so I need to." As 1morerep stated, your timing has to be perfect. The folks I have watched roll the bar tend to lift poorly because of the moving bar. That is not to say it can't or shouldn't be done, but for most of us it just messes up our form. Just my half cent worth.

Cutty 11-17-2013 11:28 AM

I use pre roll and it helps keep the bar from drifting. It took a long time to get timing but i think its personal preference.

Gorship 11-18-2013 10:11 PM

might actually be a bit harder on the joints but if you time it properly im sure its fine. I say it could be harder due to the fact that your upward pull is going to have horizontal momentum.

BendtheBar 11-18-2013 10:18 PM

75% of the videos I see, the hand that is palm up is still bent and contracting when the pull is initiated.

This is not only inherently dangerous, but it also means you are starting the pull with your head lower to the ground, possibly more out over the bar,and possible with hit and miss hip position.

I see guts still beast the bar up, but I am not sold that they are lifting more than they could with a precise start.

If a lifter uses it, they better know what to watch for regarding bent arms, bad hips and head position. Most don't. Therefor I don't think anyone but experienced pullers should do it.

If you can't analyze your mistakes, you need to master basic pulling first.