Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Cube method questions (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15483)

djjdnap 11-12-2013 10:15 AM

Cube method questions
 
I'm on my second week of this and find myself being slightly confused with the timing of sets.

So yesterday was heavy bench.
floor press 80% for 2 reps/ 5 sets

how much rest is supposed to be in between?

on the next exercise
bench 70% 15 reps / 2 sets

I figure you will be fatigued so take as much rest as needed to complete the next 15 reps

...........

now on explosive deads he says in the book he has 15 secs between sets.
mind you explosive deads are 3 sets/ 8 reps at 60%.
Not heavy, but it really punished my hands last week, and i waited about a min between.

i try not to get caught up in the numbers that much just curious though

KCStrongmanben 11-12-2013 10:43 AM

Don't get wrapped up in the details. Take enough rest that you're ready to go and you can push it as you acclimate

afraziaaaa 11-12-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djjdnap (Post 426081)
I'm on my second week of this and find myself being slightly confused with the timing of sets.

So yesterday was heavy bench.
floor press 80% for 2 reps/ 5 sets

how much rest is supposed to be in between?

on the next exercise
bench 70% 15 reps / 2 sets

I figure you will be fatigued so take as much rest as needed to complete the next 15 reps

...........

now on explosive deads he says in the book he has 15 secs between sets.
mind you explosive deads are 3 sets/ 8 reps at 60%.
Not heavy, but it really punished my hands last week, and i waited about a min between.

i try not to get caught up in the numbers that much just curious though

On power days, rest as much as you need to in order to complete the heavy set.

Explosive exercises are done quickly to increase metabolic fatigue as well. Don't worry, your hands will toughen up.

Basic guideline for powerlifting is to rest 5-10 minutes between heavy sets. Assistance exercises are done bodybuilding style.

There is a Cube group on facebook as well where you can ask questions.

Kroy 11-12-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djjdnap (Post 426081)
now on explosive deads he says in the book he has 15 secs between sets.
mind you explosive deads are 3 sets/ 8 reps at 60%.
Not heavy, but it really punished my hands last week, and i waited about a min between.

i try not to get caught up in the numbers that much just curious though

Im not sure if you made a typo, but its supposed to be 8 sets / 3 reps for Deads. Generally when doing speed work, the sets are always greater than the reps, ie. 9x3rep, 10x1rep, etc. In that case it wont be as hard to rest little in between reps, but you can rest more between sets. I know that Brandon Lilly likes to do 10 sets/ 1 rep DLs. That is when he always does his 15 second rests, which he does with a partner in a "you go, I go" style.

EliteDreams 11-12-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCStrongmanben (Post 426091)
Don't get wrapped up in the details. Take enough rest that you're ready to go and you can push it as you acclimate

This. If you take a program and run it for a while you will figure out what works best for you.

CountryFriedMuscle 11-12-2013 12:32 PM

I just finished a few cycles of the Cube, so let me give you my two cents.

On the heavy days, take as much time as you need. Since the weights are never really heavy until the final heavy day, I always tired to move them FAST. Now, if you are working hard and trying to blast these sets, you will need a little more rest. Take as much as you need. The point of this day is to get something moderately heavy on your back and slaughter it.

On explosive days, I took a different approach, basically trying to complete the work in as little time as possible so as to elicit the greatest training effect with the lighter weight. So, I do think you should move fast between your sets. However, I think there has been a break in communication; Brandon Lilly himself recommends 15 seconds because he pulls singles back to back with a partner, not triples. If you are doing triples, as I did, do them like any other speed sets, approx 45 seconds between sets.

djjdnap 11-12-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afraziaaaa (Post 426095)
On power days, rest as much as you need to in order to complete the heavy set.

Explosive exercises are done quickly to increase metabolic fatigue as well. Don't worry, your hands will toughen up.

Basic guideline for powerlifting is to rest 5-10 minutes between heavy sets. Assistance exercises are done bodybuilding style.

There is a Cube group on facebook as well where you can ask questions.

Yea i did mean 8 sets/ 3 reps...

Like i said i dont usually concern myself with timing, however.
When doing certain programs as above states you want to fatigue the muscle like when doing drop sets.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.