Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Dumbbells vs Barbells (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15334)

JumpmanRugs 10-28-2013 02:40 PM

Dumbbells vs Barbells

I love Barbells. I'm not a big fan of dumbbell movements too much, however I feel I should be adding them in more.

Now my question is this, what are the benefits of DB Bench over BB Bench?

I find BB Bench quite uncomfortable when I get to heavy loads. Not uncomfortable because of the weight, but I have long arms and it just feels uncomfortable sometimes (Not all the time). I have focused on my form a lot and changed that, but I just prefer lifting with DB's.

Pro's and con's to each? Your experiences?

Thanks guys!

jiorio95 10-28-2013 03:02 PM

Personally, I'm a barbell guy. I used to use dumbbells for everything but progression and growth were slow, got turned on to barbells and progression and growth are constantly improving.

Just my experience, the pro's to barbells are more weight and more muscles used. Because of that I can always get 5-10 more lbs out of my compounds on a consistent basis.

Whenever I use dumbbells it's to hit a specific area, but I'm not a bodybuilder nor a guy who is large enough to have specific areas that are lagging, so I don't use them too often.

I guess it depends on what your goals are.

5kgLifter 10-28-2013 04:17 PM

I prefer to do a percentage of DB presses within any press set-up purely because they target more stabilisers than the barbell work does.

EliteDreams 10-28-2013 05:29 PM

What are your goals? There is absolutely nothing wrong with dumbell benching.

You may just keep playing around with your barbell form, grip width, where you touch etc.

gaspers04 10-28-2013 06:10 PM

BBs here. I feel that you are limited in progression at some point with DBs.

CountryFriedMuscle 10-28-2013 09:32 PM

As EltieDreams said, a lot of this depends on your goals. If you want to be a powerlifter, you are going to have to use the barbell at some point. However, if you are more interested in aestetics or general strength, then there is no real need to do the barbell bench press. Lots of old school bodybuilders and olympic lifters didn't do very many bench presses and were bull strong and looked good. Its all about what your goals are.

jdmalm123 10-28-2013 09:40 PM

BBs for pure strength

DBs for "lighter" assistance, stabilizers, better ROM, unilateral training

Dray 10-28-2013 09:41 PM

I like doing both, for the time being anyway. Of course, there will come a time when I run out of dumbells, and this would be inevitable for most lifters I guess.

They "feel" different, and it seems to me DB bench works more chest, or works it differently, or something.

EliteDreams 10-29-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 421216)

Great point. Hard to get big dumbells in place when your as strong as Gasp.

JumpmanRugs 11-10-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiorio95 (Post 421189)
Personally, I'm a barbell guy. I used to use dumbbells for everything but progression and growth were slow, got turned on to barbells and progression and growth are constantly improving.

Just my experience, the pro's to barbells are more weight and more muscles used. Because of that I can always get 5-10 more lbs out of my compounds on a consistent basis.

Whenever I use dumbbells it's to hit a specific area, but I'm not a bodybuilder nor a guy who is large enough to have specific areas that are lagging, so I don't use them too often.

I guess it depends on what your goals are.

I prefer Barbells for exercises, and while I do enjoy the barbell bench I find it uncomfortable and awkward for my body, however with Dumbbells I don't, plus it feels like something is actually working.

Do you really think there are more muscles used on Barbells? I would have thought the other way around, I always find my muscles being more taxed by DB's but my CNS being taxed more by the Barbells.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 421197)
I prefer to do a percentage of DB presses within any press set-up purely because they target more stabilisers than the barbell work does.

Yeah I'm really preffering having them in my program instead of doing a Barbell press.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EliteDreams (Post 421210)
What are your goals? There is absolutely nothing wrong with dumbell benching.

You may just keep playing around with your barbell form, grip width, where you touch etc.

Goals are just to get stronger generally. I want to get stronger and put on some size. Barbell has been useful and I've made gains with it, but unfortunately I just find it uncomfortable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 421216)

Yeah I see your point, but I think when I get to that point I'll go back to BB and see how that goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryFriedMuscle (Post 421277)
As EltieDreams said, a lot of this depends on your goals. If you want to be a powerlifter, you are going to have to use the barbell at some point. However, if you are more interested in aestetics or general strength, then there is no real need to do the barbell bench press. Lots of old school bodybuilders and olympic lifters didn't do very many bench presses and were bull strong and looked good. Its all about what your goals are.

Never want to be a powerlifter buddy (At least not for the foreseeable future) as basketball is the goal. General strength I guess would be the classification with some strong aesthetics (Not BB aesthetics, but strength training aesthetic but i know that will come with strength gain).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmalm123 (Post 421287)
BBs for pure strength

DBs for "lighter" assistance, stabilizers, better ROM, unilateral training

Sounds like your DB benefits are better for your overall gains from what you have said! I realise you can push more weight with BB's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dray (Post 421288)
I like doing both, for the time being anyway. Of course, there will come a time when I run out of dumbells, and this would be inevitable for most lifters I guess.

They "feel" different, and it seems to me DB bench works more chest, or works it differently, or something.

I do enjoy both, but as I've said already it's a bit uncomfortable for me when I start pushing more weight. It's not uncomfortable in the way that it is because I'm pushing myself, but it's uncomfortable because I've long arms and they feel uncomfortable when at the bottom of the lift. I think I'm going to stick with DB's until I can't lift them without a challenge anymore, which I'm going to assume will take a little while!

I know what you mean about it working differently, I feel the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EliteDreams (Post 421352)
Great point. Hard to get big dumbells in place when your as strong as Gasp.

I want to get to those massive dumbbells lol!