Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   BigJosh's 4 day bro split bro (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15286)

BigJosh 10-22-2013 12:16 AM

BigJosh's 4 day bro split bro

I've been doing 5/3/1 between 1.5-2 years. I decided about a week ago that I needed a change.
There were a few reasons for the change, the biggest one being that my lower back is jacked, as I have shared in other threads. And the beating that it took from 2 lower body days a week was just too much. I can't take the pain anymore.
The secondary reason is I just wanted to try a different approach. Something new to maybe stimulate some muscle and growth and generate some new excitement about training.

My Split will look like this:
Day 1: Chest/Bi (come at me bro)
Day 2: Quads/hams/glutes/abs
Day 3: Shoulders/triceps
Day 4: Back/traps/abs/calves(maybe)

Ideally I will lift 2 days on, one off, 2 on, 2 off. This may not always workout for me between work, family , etc, so I will remain flexible. But I will always lean toward more rest days then less, never do more than 2 workout days in a row.

Join me bros, as I train like a bro, for the sake of bro kind. Come at me!*

*No bros were harmed in the making of this routine. All bro references are for entertainment purposes only. Not for human consumption. Void where prohibited.

BigJosh 10-22-2013 12:28 AM

10/21/13 National Offical Bro Bench and Curl day

Bench
95x8,135x4,205x4,255x4,295x3 (see notes)
2-4 minutes rest time, increasing as weight went up

Incline Barbell Bench
155x8,170x8,185x8
2 minute rest time

Incline DB flys
20x12x3
1-1.5 minute rest time

Band crossovers
Mini band x16,16,16

BB curl
65x6,80x6,90x6
2 minute rest time

DB Spider Curls
35x10,6, 25x10

French Curl (EZ Bar)
40x16,16,16
1 minute rest

Overall Workout Grade: B for Bro

Notes:
You're probably mad that you didn't bench and do curls today.

I just benched on friday, so it probably wasn't optimal for me to bench today, but I wanted to start the new routine and decided to go for it.
I should have easily had my goal of 4 reps at 295, but I actually had a pretty serious "incident". The whole set didn't feel right. Starting from the first rep. And between the 3rd and 4th rep my left wrist folded inward and I dropped the barbell in a controlled manner to the safety bars. Never had this happen before. Kind of shook me up.

Enjoyed the volume. Found it to be fun. Looking forward to this new routine.
I have dubbed it the "Plus 4 Plan", because for each muscle group i increase the rep goal by 4, with each consecutive exercise. For example, chest: for the first exercise (bench) my goal is 4 reps. My second exercise (incline bench) my goal is 8 reps, 3rd exercise 12 reps, 4th exercise 16. The book is coming soon.

big_swede 10-22-2013 12:59 AM

Nice work on the curls bro!

:)

In for the log Josh, good luck bro!

fenrisulfr 10-22-2013 02:04 AM

I hope you curled in the squat rack. Good luck Josh. Change is good.

linedriver465 10-22-2013 08:29 AM

Crush it brother. I recently started on a more bodypart-esque split and am loving it.

KD5NFW 10-22-2013 09:16 AM

Epically Brotastic work Josh! The routine would have been totally ineffective had you not started it on International Chest Day brah! :D

(scary on the limp wrist, but that's what the safety bars are for)

bruteforce 10-22-2013 09:20 AM

Nice work in here Josh. Bro plans FTW! Hows the wrist doing now?

BendtheBar 10-22-2013 09:57 AM

Join me in bro training.

Squatter 10-22-2013 10:00 AM

Great job getting in touch with your inner-bro Big J!! I am good as long as your lifting in any capacity really, as its great to see you coming up with something that will work around your lower back issue. Have you been able to incorporate some variation of squat for quad day?

MikeM 10-22-2013 03:39 PM

Nice plan. Nice work Josh.

I have had that happen benching where one wrist just suddenly folded over. I was back at my old gym and I was lucky I actually had a spotter that day as I didn't always. Bar flew right into the upright bars and was coming down on my face when the guy grabbed it. Scared the crap out of me so I know exactly how you feel, and now I never don't have a safety mechanism, even during warmups.

Glad you had one this time around!