Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bench Shirt or Sling Shot to increase bench? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15257)

JustinWorkouts 10-18-2013 07:49 PM

Bench Shirt or Sling Shot to increase bench?

What's your opinion on someone getting a bench shirt or a sling shot to increase or help there bench? I wanna get a sling shot just to have one if i get the approval:confused:

My Lifts:
Bench - 225
Squat - 405
Deadlift - 500
OP - 185(Haven't done since march)

Soldier 10-18-2013 08:01 PM

You didn't mention that you have any health issues, like shoulder pain. If you're pain free and wanting to increase your raw bench, just stick to benching. No need to worry about extra stuff.

Cutty 10-18-2013 08:04 PM

I don't see the harm in using a sling shot but I think you have a lot of natural ability left before you need to add in those variables. Watch vids of your form and get coached, you can probably get a lot of weight off fixing form.

+1 about shoulder pain.

CODY_SNIDER 10-18-2013 08:11 PM

Slingshot. Much easier to use then a shirt. Just use it for some overload work. If nothing else it will give you a little more confidence handling heavy loads. I'm not convinced they do much else.

But they are fantastic for shoulder/pec issues.

gaspers04 10-18-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CODY_SNIDER (Post 418415)
Slingshot. Much easier to use then a shirt. Just use it for some overload work. If nothing else it will give you a little more confidence handling heavy loads. I'm not convinced they do much else.

But they are fantastic for shoulder/pec issues.

Covered everything that I was thinking.

Ramrod 10-19-2013 12:02 AM

Yep everyone nailed it... I used it to get rid of Shoulder Tendonitis.. During my 5/3/1 I would just use the Titus Ram during my + sets for a few weeks... Worked like a Charm..

I went with the Titus Ram over the Sling Shot due to how it lays on the chest. I can do Board work with the Ram, but it only works with 1 boards... 2 and 3 boards the Ram doesn't stretch enough for it to help anyway.

KCStrongmanben 10-19-2013 01:16 AM

Slanger. Helps rep out a few more top end for overload. Get the regular one though not the mad dog

J_Byrd 10-19-2013 07:23 AM

Honestly avoid a bench shirt. It is too much for you right now. Where is your sticking point right now in the bench? A sling shot or ram is a great tool to have in the gym bag, but if you are not doing much 3 board work for your raw bench then I think you should start there.

Ramrod 10-19-2013 07:33 AM

The biggest thing that has helped my Raw bench has been my set up and Paused bench sets.

1morerep 10-19-2013 08:53 AM

Plus, you are going to need someone with you to help you out with the shirt...

They are expensive and if you don't know how to fit your self...you going to buy three or four before nailed the correct size for you. All of those brand run different.

Slingshot, ram and/or catapult are a great tool. But do not focus 100% of your training into this.

Add some , dead press, floor press etc to add some poundage to your bench too.