Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   The Super Power & Bulk Thing - Latest routine that's working (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15227)

thexman 10-15-2013 03:42 PM

The Super Power & Bulk Thing - Latest routine that's working

Hi all,

Not much of a forum social guy or anything, as I prefer to work the basics and not ask much questions these days (seems the best way to put on muscle :))

The "Super Power & Bulk Thing"

Anyways, here's a routine I've been using for a while now that's put additional muscle on my frame. It's a bulk routine from Keys to Progress (McCallum), except that I changed the squats around (not a big fan of 20-rep squats at my age as I'm almost 40 with some minor old injuries).

Dips: 3 x 15. Sounds light but you work these till failure. I prefer to have weight added and hit around the 12-rep mark as a minimum on all 3 sets, then add a small amount of weight.

The thing with these reps is that you actually hit failure around rep 8-9, then hold at the top position, hit another 3 reps, etc. until you are done (kind of like rest pause but you are not actually "resting" out of the set.

Machine Pullover: 3 x 15-18. Again, sound light but these high reps should have you wanting to quit around rep 12 or so, but you keep on through the pain (much different than hitting failure on a 5 rep set). Dumbbells are not advised as this becomes more of a triceps and chest movement with them, so hit a machine if possible. I typically go for a minimum of 15 reps on all 3 sets before moving up.

Take a small break...

Squats: 1 x 20 (But I prefer 3x6 or 4x5). Everyone knows about breathing squats but I just don't like em, plain and simple, so I don't do them. Sometimes I'll actually do 10 x 3 here. Still though, the sets are rough and I don't make them easy.

Barbell Curls: 3 x 15. Controlled but not slow. You can hit the wall at around rep 10 but pause a bit until you hit the 15 mark. LOWER THE WEIGHTS on these. It's about using the biceps, not the front delts, lower back and traps by hoisting it.

Behind-The-Neck Press: 3 x 15.
Obviously you need to be built for these, as I am with my long arms and frame. I love them. Just like the upper body movements these high reps stimulate growth.

- Entire workout time: About an hour or so.

- Calves sometimes injected in there.

- McCallum suggests 3 times weekly. I say bullshit. I need at least 2-3 days in between sessions, so for example: Monday, Friday, Tuesday, etc.

- I eat high carbs on training day, but then nothing but protein and fats on non-training days.

Hope this post helps. The routine works, plain and simple.

Regards,

John

thexman 10-15-2013 03:46 PM

Oh, and after another few months on this routine I'll be hitting McCallum's "The Power Look" routine for back and upper back/shoulder bulk.

It goes something like this:

- Low reps, 3-5
- Progressive pulls on the PC, HP & DL - one big sessions of sets with them.

Squats
Bench (I'll dip instead)
Row
Power Cleans
High Pulls
Deadlifts

SCStrong 10-15-2013 04:39 PM

I have read Keys to Progress, several times. Enjoyed it. The advice is simple and effective. I find it amazing that after 100000000000 variations on every program, known to God and man, the basics always prevail.

I agree with you on the 20 rep squats - I tried cycle of those not long ago and my old butt was hurting. Over and forty and twenty rep squats are a painful conbo-

bamazav 10-15-2013 08:57 PM

I like McCallum. His book is a must read, if you like reading weightlifting books. As for 20 reps, I am near 50 and try to hit 20 reps at least once a week. Just different strokes for different folks.

thexman 10-16-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCStrong (Post 417248)
I have read Keys to Progress, several times. Enjoyed it. The advice is simple and effective. I find it amazing that after 100000000000 variations on every program, known to God and man, the basics always prevail.

I agree with you on the 20 rep squats - I tried cycle of those not long ago and my old butt was hurting. Over and forty and twenty rep squats are a painful conbo-

It's by far the most referenced muscle book in my house as well!

You can't read this thing and not believe that short, abbreviated and mostly full body workouts can't build you into a herculean (especially when you put them into practice).

Something about those stories that everyone can connect too as well, never gets old.

- John

thexman 10-16-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 417343)
I like McCallum. His book is a must read, if you like reading weightlifting books. As for 20 reps, I am near 50 and try to hit 20 reps at least once a week. Just different strokes for different folks.

Oh I definitely agree that 20 reppers work and are down right awesome for size and development. I just have old injuries from the military that seem to flare up when I am holding too much weight on my back or long periods of time during a high-rep breathing set (2-4 breaths in between workouts).

- John

thexman 10-16-2013 09:27 AM

I'll admit too that I often split up the workouts by removing squats and just putting them on a 2nd day. Between low recovery ability, hitting 40, my own business and kids on top of it all - an upper and lower day is a great compromise with these routines.

The only thing that baffles me from KTP is John's absolute insistence that all routines should be followed 3 days per week, "no more, no less" as often written.

And we aren't talking about light, medium, heavy or anything.

Hell even in my 20s it would have been a quick death from benching, squatting and deadlifting 3 times a week with maximum force.

- John

MikeM 10-16-2013 08:05 PM

You know, I often wondered about that too! 3 days a week with those sessions would kill most people. I assumed it was artistic lisence or just exaggeration.

However, we maybe meant to do all reps and sets the same for each week, and add weight the next week. Or even add weight after two weeks once you felt the weights were easy enough.

Lord knows Marvin must have been under those guidelines! Otherwise he'd have been Mr. Olympia instead of Arnold. :D

thexman 10-17-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 417644)
You know, I often wondered about that too! 3 days a week with those sessions would kill most people. I assumed it was artistic lisence or just exaggeration.

However, we maybe meant to do all reps and sets the same for each week, and add weight the next week. Or even add weight after two weeks once you felt the weights were easy enough.

Ya know I never thought about that, makes perfect sense.

But such advice is nowhere in sight. It was always hit it hard 3 days per week, besides when he got off the beaten path with a few of the other routines - which still were a bit much at 6 days per week.

Right now I take 3 full days off, Monday & Friday is this week's schedule.

- John