Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Lift Critique and Suggestions (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15139)

Shorts 10-03-2013 09:53 AM

Lift Critique and Suggestions

Hey everyone,

Coming off of my last meet I want to build my training cycle around my weak points and areas that need improvement. I have a pretty good idea of some things I need I need to but adding this community's opinions will really get me going I think, especially if something is caught that I am not aware of.

I will be adding in more mobility work as I believe that helped a lot.

Here is my meet video, feel free to take a look and any suggestions/comments/concerns are welcome:

Here is what I have so far...

Squat:

Paused Squats in the hole
Reverse Band to handle more weight on the ascent
Possibly working on mobility to widen my stance a little?

Bench:

Adding in sling shot work for overload
2/3 Board work for sticking point
Bringing my grip width in to activate my triceps a little more

Deadlift:

Heavy Rack Pulls to focus on pushing the hips through
Dimel/Romanian Deads for the hamstrings
Ankle mobility work to help keep the shins straight

Thanks for taking a look everyone, I appreciate y'all taking the time to help a fellow member out!

Beverly McD 10-03-2013 11:55 AM

I thought you looked good! Nice job Shorts.
The only thing I might suggest, (and this is just trying to find a problem :D) is to get your hips up under the bar more when you break the bar out of the rack on squats. They're a little behind you on the break and that gives you some forward lean you have to overcome on your descent.

Shorts 10-03-2013 12:03 PM

Thanks! I actually do notice that even when I am under the bar, I tend to just muscle it out of the rack position and then try and straighten myself up after I am set (which obviously doesn't work too well)

That is something I will be more conscious about though, thanks for the tip :)

BendtheBar 10-03-2013 12:21 PM

Squats look strong. Your back and elbows look like they stay tight out of the hole and you are staying upright even on those grinders.

Wide stance is a personal thing. I suck at it, so I won't comment.

I do my warmups as paused reps. This is something you may want to try if you give paused a shot.

Your quads look decently sized. I am always a big proponent of getting them as strong as possible through squats, leg presses or whatever.

Deads I see your head lingering neutral while pulling. You want to see it driving back in concert with your hips driving forward. These are two planes that run in opposite directions that control how quickly the body stands. It kind of floats up, and then moves back after near-lockout.

You can kind of tell how I focus on speed generation with the head and hips here:

Obviously on those heavy singles your speed will slow down, but it's that focus on lockout speed during rep work that has really paid off for me.

I've had a lot of luck focusing on heavy 3 to 5" deadlifts. I seem to recover more quickly and can train at 85 to 90% more frequently. They might be worth a try.

1morerep 10-03-2013 12:30 PM

I did notice that you are not getting your shoulders blade tight during the benching. If you looks the 2nd attempt, watch after the spotters pass the bar that you actually push again up like to get comfortable or trying to get a better grip. I will work the arch and shoulders set up. Other than that your dl is strong and squat was good.

Shorts 10-03-2013 12:32 PM

Thanks Steve, some good points all around! I am definitely going to keep the paused SSB squats in my regimen as I felt that paused squats have helped me a ton. Adding them into the warmups is a pretty good idea that I haven't thought of as well!

As far increasing muscle and strength I was thinking of working in the medium rep ranges for all this work to stay at a decent load but make the most out of my training. Thinking anywhere between 3 and 8 reps depending on how I feel that day. Also some days working up to a heavy single or double and doing a couple backoff sets at 10 reps.

Also thanks for attaching that video, definitely helps me understand what you mean with generating speed with the head.

Shorts 10-03-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1morerep (Post 413183)
I did notice that you are not getting your shoulders blade tight during the benching. If you looks the 2nd attempt, watch after the spotters pass the bar that you actually push again up like to get comfortable or trying to get a better grip. I will work the arch and shoulders set up. Other than that your dl is strong and squat was good.

Good point, benching is definitely my weak point out of all my lifts. I am open to any and all suggestions to get that moving.

In my eyes I feel like I should have a higher bench than I do with where my other lifts are at.

Do you have any recommendations to drive home the arch and tightening the shoulder blades during lift?

Could also use some tips on getting leg drive, I suck at that as well too and am not afraid to admit it!

1morerep 10-03-2013 12:39 PM

You can use a 4 inches pipe (foam roller type), to start getting some of arch and the increase it to 6 inches (after sometime). Not sure how is your set up but try to start getting like 6 inches pass the bar. Get your feet tight first and then push your head back down w/o moving your feet from last position. Made sure that your groove is not 100% straight up but more like in an angle toward your eyes.

*The 6 inches is not a science. Is more like my own distance. We are not too tall...Distance and space will change with time depending on flexibility...

evilinmotion 10-03-2013 07:20 PM

Nice Job... also good job getting that last bench past the mid sticking point...try a day of close grip and heavy tri ext (or pressdowns) a week and that 335 will go up like your opener in no time...

afraziaaaa 10-04-2013 03:59 AM

Nice meet. I will add one thing. You need back work to get stronger in your squat. Your legs can handle what you are squatting now, but your hips are shooting up first and your chest dipping at the same time. The paused SSB squats will help with this because you have to fight the bar as it is pulling you forward, but I would add more assistance for the lumbar/thoracic erectors. I have found that heavy arched back good mornings and heavy low rows do the trick for me.

Keeping your back straight will help keep your hips under the bar and allow you to drive into the bar with more force on the ascent.