Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bench issues...shoulder problems (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15051)

batwhisper 09-25-2013 09:12 AM

Bench issues...shoulder problems
 
Been training for over a year. I started out using the SS routine.

Our bench went from 95lbs-165lbs. in that year.

Once we got to the high weight I noticed I was having issues with my shoulder. Nothing terrible, it doesn't interfer with everyday life, but when I bench it isn't the typical "burn" from lifting and I do not want to make it worse.

What I have done to remedy the problem:

-Started lifting lighter and worked my way back up. (To this day I cannot get above 135lbs. without feeling it in the shoulder.)

-Met with a friend who is a Physical Therapist and no stranger to shoulder issues. He gave me workouts to strenghten my shoulders.

-Tried doing Chest flys, dumbbell press, dips, etc. The chest flys I don't feel it engaging my chest at all and the same goes for db press. The dips I can feel too much in the shoulder and stopped.

-Worked like hell on my form. From this I discovered my arms are much longer and therefore when I lower the bar to my chest, my elbows are pointing straight at the ground. Also, had other monitor my form and I guess I have a good form.

-I have tried stopping when my arms are parrallel to the ground, but noticed that the bar is above 3-5 inches above my chest and I don't feel like that is working it very well.

With that being said, I think I am done with bench for a whilel.

My question is, what else can I do besides any form of bench to strengthen and develop my chest.

I have looked into doing a lot of push ups and even getting a weighted vest to help.

It just looks like bench isn't for me right now.

BendtheBar 09-25-2013 09:35 AM

Do you have a video of your benching? There are several common issues benchers do wrong that can help tax the shoulders, including flat backed benching and arms flared benching.

BigJosh 09-25-2013 09:41 AM

Welcome to the forum! If you haven't done so, stop by the introduce yourself forum and say hi.

I think the first place to start is seeing a video of you benching. Post one up if you can. I have actually dealt with some shoulder issues in the past.
I think it would also benefit to post up your whole routine. In my case, it hurt to bench, however bench wasn't the cause of the aggravation. It was other exercises that were causing it. Maybe we can identify something that could potentially be a problem.

batwhisper 09-25-2013 09:42 AM

I do not have a video at this time, but I will be getting one.

Carl1174 09-25-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batwhisper (Post 410493)
-I have tried stopping when my arms are parrallel to the ground, but noticed that the bar is above 3-5 inches above my chest and I don't feel like that is working it very well.

I would echo BtB that a video would be helpful.

Carl.

batwhisper 09-25-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 410511)
Welcome to the forum! If you haven't done so, stop by the introduce yourself forum and say hi.

I think the first place to start is seeing a video of you benching. Post one up if you can. I have actually dealt with some shoulder issues in the past.
I think it would also benefit to post up your whole routine. In my case, it hurt to bench, however bench wasn't the cause of the aggravation. It was other exercises that were causing it. Maybe we can identify something that could potentially be a problem.

Thank you for the welcome!

My routine is very basic at the moment.

Squat
Bench
DB Shoulder Press (started doing lighter weight when I started "rehabing" my shoulder)
DB Rows/Cable rows (alternate every workout)
Upright Row
Hypers
Deadlift (on days I do not bench)



I recently just started alternating the bench and db shoulder press. On days I bench, I do not do the shoulder press. On days I shoulder press, no bench.

BigJosh 09-25-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batwhisper (Post 410515)
Thank you for the welcome!

My routine is very basic at the moment.

Squat
Bench
DB Shoulder Press (started doing lighter weight when I started "rehabing" my shoulder)
DB Rows/Cable rows (alternate every workout)
Upright Row
Hypers
Deadlift (on days I do not bench)



I recently just started alternating the bench and db shoulder press. On days I bench, I do not do the shoulder press. On days I shoulder press, no bench.

IMO you just drop the upright rows. They give me shoulder problems every time. I've heard other guys say this same thing.
The same position the top of an upright row is in, is the same postion doctors have you do to check for impingment.

batwhisper 09-25-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 410517)
IMO you just drop the upright rows. They give me shoulder problems every time. I've heard other guys say this same thing.
The same position the top of an upright row is in, is the same postion doctors have you do to check for impingment.

You know...now that you mention the upright row...the front of my deltoid is the part that gives me the most problems. I will get a video up here soon. Thanks again!

Soldier 09-25-2013 12:34 PM

I had my bench up around 350 when I royally screwed my left shoulder. I still can't lift more than 135 without pain, just like you. The difference is that my problems started with a nice popping feeling in my shoulder. Not good feeling. My pain is in my front delt, but I've been told that it's a rotator cuff issue, which is exaclty what you might be having.

I agree with the others that we may be able to help you with form. That could very well be the issue. Also, I'd suggest looking into movements to strengthen the rotator cuffs. I do much more warming up now before I do any pressing movements to make sure the entire shoulder girdle is prepared for the loads.

As far as benching, unfortunately I've had to give it up for now. I'm taking the opportunity to focus on my shoulders which have always been a weakness for me. The standing military press has become my best friend!

BigJosh 09-25-2013 12:50 PM

Good point about the rotator cuff. My issue was rotator related as well.
Twice a week I did these three exercises described on this site:
http://www.bodyresults.com/e2rotatorcuff.asp

I used light weights (2.5lbs - 15lbs) and high reps (12-15).
Also I started putting some ephasis on rear delt strength. I started with reverse pec deck flys and then eventually graduated to face pulls.

This seemed to really help my issue, along with avoiding any movement that hurt.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.