Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Less? More? Just Right? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14989)

Adamite1114 09-18-2013 02:42 AM

Less? More? Just Right?

So I just did the math and I added up the calories and grams of protein that I consumed today which I feel is an average day of food for me. I would like your opinions on whether or not this is too much. I'm 5'6" and the last time I weighed myself I was 141 lbs but that was a couple months ago.

So here's the list and totals.
2 packs of top ramen
Homemade shake
1 can of chili
2 things of string cheese
2 cans of ravioli
protein bar
salami
peanut butter
whole milk

Total came out to 3,912 calories and 205 grams of protein. These are approximate numbers. math is not my strong suit lol
appreciate the posts

Soldier 09-18-2013 07:46 AM

4k calories might be perfect, or might be horrible. What are you're current size, estimated BF% and goals?

Cutty 09-18-2013 10:51 AM

Sounds like an awesome day. Just like Soldier said, what are your goals and current body comp?

Everyone is a little different so it's hard to look at the numbers alone and say one way or the other.

Adamite1114 09-18-2013 01:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm unsure of my body fat %. I'd like to be around 180 lbs with muscle. I weighed myself first thing this morning with no food in me and I weighed 154. I have a goal of a 200 Bench, 300 squat, and I just reached my goal of a 200 deadlift so now i'm working towards a 250 deadlift.

I'll most some pics if that helps

Tannhauser 09-18-2013 02:28 PM

Well, I'm not an expert on putting weight on, but my view is that's an awful lot of calories for your weight.

Unless you're very active, your maintenance calories could be around 2300. A 1600 calorie surplus would certainly pack on some muscle, but I think you'd pack on a fair amount of fat too.

I hesitate to say this, because you shouldn't be scared of putting a bit of fat on. But I wonder if you would get just as much muscle and considerably less fat gain with a few hundred calories less. Say 3200 and see if you can gain on that.

Also, have you got any fruit and veggies in there?

Adamite1114 09-18-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannhauser (Post 408699)
Well, I'm not an expert on putting weight on, but my view is that's an awful lot of calories for your weight.

Unless you're very active, your maintenance calories could be around 2300. A 1600 calorie surplus would certainly pack on some muscle, but I think you'd pack on a fair amount of fat too.

I hesitate to say this, because you shouldn't be scared of putting a bit of fat on. But I wonder if you would get just as much muscle and considerably less fat gain with a few hundred calories less. Say 3200 and see if you can gain on that.

Also, have you got any fruit and veggies in there?

Yes I do. There's always one banana in my shake and then i like to have an apple or two or some grapes before a workout

IainK 09-18-2013 02:43 PM

Exactly what Tanner said. Where is the fruit and veg and alternative sources of fat e.g. fish and veg sources.

I'd also agree that it's probably too many kcals. How long have you been eating this amount? Have you put weight on in this time? Has much of it been fat?

If its all going well and your heading towards goals crack on. If this is a new increase in food (week - month) then I'd advice caution :)

big_swede 09-18-2013 03:54 PM

If you are getting stronger, you are eating enough. Whenever your progress stalls, eat more.

bgben3 09-19-2013 07:15 PM

I also think that's a lot of calories. I'm 205 with 9% bf, to maintain this I take in 3500cal a day. I also think you would see better results, if you cleaned up your calories a bit. raviolis? and chili? Just saying, its not the best foods for building muscle.

miked96 09-22-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 408711)
If you are getting stronger, you are eating enough. Whenever your progress stalls, eat more.

Can I get an amen?