Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What am I? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14960)

mohiz 09-15-2013 01:59 AM

What am I?

I have a problem. Well, it's not really that big a problem but I don't know what to tell people when they ask about my hobbies. If I just say I "lift weights" that doesn't really convey how serious I am about it. A lot of people lift weights, but many do it just "recreationally" without high goals or anything like that.

Then again I can't really consider myself as a bodybuilder, because I don't care about an aesthetic physique, I "just" want to be huge (as if that's easy). But it's not "just" huge, I also want to be brutally strong. I don't care about achieving a pump or targeting specific muscles, I'd rather focus on progressive overload on a given exercise.

How about powerlifter then? Well, then again my main goal is still size, and not maximal strength. It's just that the method I have chosen to gain size is that of increasing my 5x5 strength. I also don't compete as of yet (although I intend to go to a meet when I feel ready).

Let me give you an example: when I talk about my musical prowess, I say "I am a guitarist". That signals that I don't just "play the guitar", but that I'm very passionate about it. I wish there was a similar word to use about my weight training enthusiasm! I can't be the only one pondering this..?

Dray 09-15-2013 02:15 AM

Back when, you might've been called a strongman. Or a physical culturalist, lol. :)

These days, yeah, I dunno. "Gymrat" just doesn't have that ring to it, right? :D

But if you're considering competing in powerlifting, well, you could say that you're a future powerlifter. Eh, no. Still doesn't sound right...

edit: "Powerbuilder" could work. Might confuse people though.

fenrisulfr 09-15-2013 02:19 AM

I got this, "Meathead."
But seriously "Weightlifter," conveys that you care enough about the iron to call yourself a weightlifter.

regev19978 09-15-2013 02:25 AM

I would say "I lift heavy ass weight!"
that's sounds better :rockon:

5kgLifter 09-15-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohiz (Post 407652)
I have a problem. Well, it's not really that big a problem but I don't know what to tell people when they ask about my hobbies. If I just say I "lift weights" that doesn't really convey how serious I am about it. A lot of people lift weights, but many do it just "recreationally" without high goals or anything like that.

Tell them you lift weights and then give them some idea of your goals, let them decide on the label, of they really want to compartmentalise you.

Labels are really as important as getting on with it, many say "I'm a bodybuilder" etc but then there are some that consider unless you've stepped on stage you're not really a bodybuilder, it gets complicated, for no real reason.

Throughout your training, your goals may change, so it's possible you may even want to try your hand at a strongman competition or a PL meet, since your goals are to get big and strong overall...then, instead of saying I lift weights, you will be saying I do strongman/PL.

Me, I just lift weights. :)

Tannhauser 09-15-2013 09:32 AM

My experience is that most people still haven't heard the term 'powerlifter'. It means nothing to them. Many of those who have heard the term confuse it with Olympic lifting.

Just tell them that you lift weights, but only to improve your chess. That will confuse them.

Dray 09-15-2013 09:46 AM

Good ol' chess press, lulz.

mohiz 09-15-2013 11:57 PM

Haha :D Thanks for all the answers. I kinda like "powerbuilder" although then I'd have to explain what it means. Weightlifter would probably convey the closest mental image to most laymen, but it could be confused with Olympic lifting.

Carl1174 09-28-2013 05:36 AM

Tell them you lift weights...seriously!!

Honestly, I dont think it matters what they think you are doing with your spare time, or whether they think you are serious about what you do or not.. If someone tells me they lift wieghts/go to the gym/play the guitar etc etc then I just tend to think they must be relitively serious about it to spend their spare time doing it and to tell people that they do it...

Doesnt really matter either way as long as YOU are happy with what you do and how serious YOU are about it, thats all that counts.

Carl.

Kleurplaay 09-28-2013 07:42 AM

just say you are a strength athlete :) it's what I do