Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Gain muscle lose abs? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14946)

Renton 09-12-2013 07:09 PM

Gain muscle lose abs?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a thread on it. So a little background, I'm 30 6-3 and have been lifting regularly for over 3 years. I gained a lot of muscle the first year but since then it seems my weight has stayed steady. Last winter I tried bulking up and I made some gains but I also seemed to gain belly fat and lost having any visible upper abs despite being careful what I ate. Is it common to gain some belly fat when trying to gain muscle at my level? It's frustrating that gains seem to slow down so much after the first year.

The_Big_Sleep 09-12-2013 07:25 PM

Do you have an idea of how many calories you were taking in while you put on weight? What's your current bodyweight/bodyfat?

Gorship 09-12-2013 07:48 PM

The premise of a "bulk" is that you eat a caloric surplus so that you have the energy to build muscle, however excess energy (which we measure in calories) gets stored into fat cells. So all thats happened is you have gained an excess amount of fat cells, to remove these cells, find your maintenance caloric level (The Big Sleeps question above is going to help you find that out) and then cut that by about 10% to help you not chew up muscle but keep you on a caloric deficit to help you bring back your body fat percentage so you can see your abdominal muscles again. Things to help you from your body using muscle as calories is to eat around 1lb of protein per pound of body mass. The increase in protein also helps your internal thermogenic effects and will help you burn a few extra calories.

If you decide to do the cut, best of luck.

Renton 09-12-2013 08:58 PM

I can lose bodyfat easy enough, this summer I cut down and got pretty lean but lost some of my strength gains. Right now I'm trying to bulk again and I'm around 195, looking at pictures I would say my b/f is between 15to20% as you can only sort of see my top two abs

Henry19 09-12-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Big_Sleep (Post 407045)
Do you have an idea of how many calories you were taking in while you put on weight? What's your current bodyweight/bodyfat?

This. We need more info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renton (Post 407060)
I can lose bodyfat easy enough, this summer I cut down and got pretty lean but lost some of my strength gains. Right now I'm trying to bulk again and I'm around 195, looking at pictures I would say my b/f is between 15to20% as you can only sort of see my top two abs

You gotta post some pics man.

moeheep 09-13-2013 10:44 AM

Yes it is common to gain some belly fat while trying to gain muscle at your level.

Yes it is very frustrating when gains slow down..Consistency is the key.

Remember, its a marathon, not a sprint

Tannhauser 09-13-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renton (Post 407042)
Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a thread on it. So a little background, I'm 30 6-3 and have been lifting regularly for over 3 years. I gained a lot of muscle the first year but since then it seems my weight has stayed steady. Last winter I tried bulking up and I made some gains but I also seemed to gain belly fat and lost having any visible upper abs despite being careful what I ate. Is it common to gain some belly fat when trying to gain muscle at my level? It's frustrating that gains seem to slow down so much after the first year.

Yes, it's common. Food that isn't metabolised for energy is going to be stored (but that's going to be a comparatively small amount) or converted into tissue - which might be regarded as a longer-term storage. Ideally, you want the tissue that its partitioned into to be muscle, but almost inevitably some of it will be partitioned into fat. The proportion that gets partitioned into muscle is going to be determined by many factors, including:

genetics
macronutrient profile
micronutrient profile
extent of calorific excess
level of conditioning
sleep quantity and quality
exposure to stressors
type of exercise undertaken

Of course, the ideal is to gain pure muscle, but for many it's not that easy.

Renton 09-13-2013 08:12 PM

So It's been awhile since I figured out how many calories I eat in a day but according to what I've read I need to eat over 3000 a day and I'm not sure if I eat that much. From what I recorded before I'm usually around 2500-3000. I took a few photos today but it won't let me post them on the forum as it says I haven't posted enough yet.

SCStrong 09-13-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorship (Post 407047)
. Things to help you from your body using muscle as calories is to eat around 1lb of protein per pound of body mass. The increase in protein also helps your internal thermogenic effects and will help you burn a few extra calories.

If you decide to do the cut, best of luck.

...... maybe one GRAM of protien per pound of body weight ? :)

LindenGarcia18 09-14-2013 05:32 AM

How about mini cuts?

Take 2 to 4 weeks out to burn a couple of pounds of fat, and then resume your bulk.

Just a thought.