Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Push to pull ratio (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14928)

alothrysis 09-10-2013 06:21 PM

Push to pull ratio

I would like to keep proper balance of my muscle building so I've always gone by more pulling than pushing. I've been doing 5/3/1 for bodybuilding 4 DAW for 5 cycles now.

I've been wondering lately if there is more pushing volume than than pulling.
Wasn't sure if the weight used on deadlifts (225lbx3bench,170lbx3OHP,420lb deads) makes up for the fact that you have 2 heavy pushing days on 5/3/1.

My assistance work is definitely balanced, not sure about the main lifts though
Thanks

BigJosh 09-10-2013 06:28 PM

My understanding of 5/3/1 is that Wendler intended the pulling volume to be made up using assistance work. So realistically in order to achieve this you would need more pulling assistance work than you would pushing assistance work.
Therefore if your assistance work is balanced, it is quite possible that you aren't doing enough pulling work.
The main lifts are what they are. Don't change that.

Off Road 09-10-2013 06:32 PM

The Press and Bench are both "pushing" exercises and work the same muscles.
The Squat and Deads are both "pulling" exercises and work the same muscles.
So the main work is balanced.

Make sure the assistance stuff is balanced, or I prefer more pulling than pushing.

alothrysis 09-10-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJosh (Post 406395)
My understanding of 5/3/1 is that Wendler intended the pulling volume to be made up using assistance work. So realistically in order to achieve this you would need more pulling assistance work than you would pushing assistance work.
Therefore if your assistance work is balanced, it is quite possible that you aren't doing enough pulling work.
The main lifts are what they are. Don't change that.

I only have the 1st edition e-book and I never caught that bit. Perhaps he goes into detail about it in other editions but, I will definitely proceed this way. Thanks again

Cutty 09-10-2013 07:47 PM

At least you are aware of pushing vs pulling. A lot of people don't catch onto this until they are overdeveloped and have some muscular imbalances. Keep up the good work.

Dray 09-10-2013 11:06 PM

You know those bits where he bangs on about supersetting all pressing sets (even warmups) with pullups and chinups? And/or other pulling stuff, in later books...

In fact, where he even goes so far as to say you should do that between all sets of everything?

Yeah.

edit: I would also say that the main work is NOT balanced. Hence, his emphatic repeated suggestions for a lot more [upper body] pull work.

alothrysis 09-11-2013 11:01 PM

That is a good point about getting 100 reps of pullups/chins everyday. He does indeed say that....

However, I certainly will not do such a thing as I've been a furniture mover for 8.5 years. At work I do 10x the pulling that I do pushing/pressing so my biceps have to be stretched at least 2-3 times a day for them to not bother me.

I've always made it a point to pull more than push in my routines so I'll add some pulling to my squat day and make sure my deadlift day far outweighs my 2 pressing days.

Thanks for the help fellas