Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Supplement Nightmares (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14915)

Adamite1114 09-09-2013 01:36 PM

Supplement Nightmares

Hey guys I'm waiting in my girlfriend at the doctors office so I thought I'd go ahead and make a fun thread. I'm sure we've all got our stories of trial and error when it comes to supplements so I thought it be fun to post them here and talk about 'em.

Mine was about five months ago when I found a supplement store in my town that was a small business and owned and operated by one single guy. I decided I'd go in and see what the guy had. The first thing I noticed was that I didn't recognize a single brand that he had in the store, so already a bit iffy about the place. I left the place with a mass gainer and a pre-workout. First of all the mass gainer worked well. Actually too well WAY too well I had gained numerous pounds in a matter of months, I was new to gaining but I was pretty sure it wasn't healthy to gain wait THAT fast. And secondly I was only taking the pre-workout only on workout out days and I soon started to notice that on those days I had an unusual amount of anger and aggression. The pump and energy was great but I soon found myself lashing out at my girlfriend for no apparent reason at all. I quickly threw the pre-workout away and all the anger stopped.

So I'm warning you guys: stay away from Kronic Pump Pre-Workout! If you can even find it anywhere else. The pump and energy is not worth it.

I never went back to that supplemen store and I actually think the guy we t outta business.

Soldier 09-09-2013 01:44 PM

I'm always leary of a supplement company I haven't heard about.

My only real nightmare was with ZMA. I've always heard people talk about getting awesome sleep from ZMA, so I got some and popped it before bed as recomended. I was up for HOURS! And I'm not normally one to have sleeping problems. My heart was racing like I'd chugged 3 Monters. I didn't automatically make a connection between the bad sleep and the ZMA so I tried it for 2 more nights and got 2 of the worst nights of sleep I've had as an adult.

It's safe to say that ZMA will NOT be making another appearance in my supp stash!

BendtheBar 09-09-2013 01:46 PM

Back in the day I used a cheap Wal-mart brand of creatine. It gave me anal leakage for about 3 months.

Adamite1114 09-09-2013 01:47 PM

That's insane! If you need help sleepin I would recommend something more natural like melatonin.

Adamite1114 09-09-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 406032)
Back in the day I used a cheap Wal-mart brand of creatine. It gave me anal leakage for about 3 months.

Was that the body fortress brand? Cause that's the brand I use for supplements since Walmart is so cheap.

Soldier 09-09-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamite1114 (Post 406033)
That's insane! If you need help sleepin I would recommend something more natural like melatonin.

Honestly, I don't need help sleeping. I got a good deal on it and just wanted to give it a try. Melatonin is the SH**! Although it doesn't really work for me anymore.

Soldier 09-09-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamite1114 (Post 406034)
Was that the body fortress brand? Cause that's the brand I use for supplements since Walmart is so cheap.

I just try to hit up GNC when they have BOGO deals for the basics like creatine. Their store brand isn't too bad. I use their 7lb bags of protein because they're the cheapest per serving I can find.

Adamite1114 09-09-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 406039)
I just try to hit up GNC when they have BOGO deals for the basics like creatine. Their store brand isn't too bad. I use their 7lb bags of protein because they're the cheapest per serving I can find.

That's not a bad idea. It's just tough to pay for the bare essentials when your a poor college student, ya know?

Adamite1114 09-09-2013 02:43 PM

My dad also has a story from when he was working out in te 80s and it tried an a edgy supplement to keep him up during a graveyard shift. And he later found out there there were traces of methamphetamine in it

Tannhauser 09-09-2013 03:57 PM

My funny supplements story is when I paid substantial amounts of money to T-Nation for Mag-10 or whatever their over-hyped nonsense was called. Not funny for me of course, but TC Luoma and Tim Patterson were laughing themselves sick.