Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   High Bar, Low Bar & Front Squat same week (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14827)

regev19978 08-30-2013 07:30 AM

High Bar, Low Bar & Front Squat same week

What do you think? I'm on Marvin Eder style program and I thought about this idea squatting all this styles for getting stronger and bigger.
What do you think?

bruteforce 08-30-2013 08:38 AM

My thoughts are pretty much try it and see what happens. It might work great for you, or it might not work so well. Only way to really find out it to give it a run.

Henry19 08-30-2013 09:34 AM

What's the routine look like? As Brute said, you're probably fine so long as you aren't doing too much volume and you give your body time to recover in the grand scheme of things. It's not uncommon for guys to do several squat, deadlift, or bench variations in one day-that's not the problem. The problem is when you do those several variations, several times a week, several times a month, etc., you can overtrain.

Note: There is a huge difference between overtraining and overreaching!

BendtheBar 08-30-2013 11:06 AM

It depends on the volume and intensity. I would have to see the program. Frequent squatting is doable, but I do think it's something that should be eased into. Adjustments are often needed once you start the program.

brad1224 08-30-2013 11:13 AM

exactly. You only know if it works for you if you try it

regev19978 08-30-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry19 (Post 403209)
What's the routine look like? As Brute said, you're probably fine so long as you aren't doing too much volume and you give your body time to recover in the grand scheme of things. It's not uncommon for guys to do several squat, deadlift, or bench variations in one day-that's not the problem. The problem is when you do those several variations, several times a week, several times a month, etc., you can overtrain.

Note: There is a huge difference between overtraining and overreaching!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 403239)
It depends on the volume and intensity. I would have to see the program. Frequent squatting is doable, but I do think it's something that should be eased into. Adjustments are often needed once you start the program.

I'm much more comfortable with LB but I think to give it a try.

Mon
cleans 5x3 w ohp or push press
squats 5x5-8
BB/DB rows 5x5-8
BHNP 2x8-10
bench 5x5-8
BB calf raise 3x15-20

Wed
squat 5x5-8
DL 3x5
BHNP 5x5-8
Wide grip pullups 5xMAX
Chest Dips 5xMAX
BB curl 3x8

Fri

Cleans 5x3 w ohp or push press
squats 5x5-8
BB/DB rows 5x5-8
bhnp 2x8-10
dips 5xMAX
ABS

IainK 08-30-2013 11:27 AM

Worth a go.

Id prob do each on a different session. Daily max style top set followed by some planned down work. Which would be periodized in some manner.

MikeM 08-31-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IainK (Post 403249)
Worth a go.

Id prob do each on a different session. Daily max style top set followed by some planned down work. Which would be periodized in some manner.

I agree. I'd also like to see how you would program this. How would you cycle the daily max and down sets? Do you have a set cycle that you use? Do you go by feel each day? Do you have percentages for the daily max and planned reps for the down sets?

I feel like there is an art to manipulating sub max singles and reps in anger. Probably only suited to each person, but I am curious about ideas in this area and wondering how you discovered what works for you. I feel like this would work for me, but haven't found the key to understanding this or using it properly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IainK 09-01-2013 03:59 AM

Id simply work up to a single (or even 2-5) that was tough on the day. Id then just set down work of that as a %. Id have a phase were the down work increases in volume followed by a phase of increasing intensity.

Renton 09-14-2013 11:02 PM

I think squatting different ways could be good as long as you don't overtrain.