Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Overrated Strength Building Tools, Principles, etc (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14450)

BendtheBar 07-25-2013 11:57 AM

Overrated Strength Building Tools, Principles, etc

There are many tools, principles, exercise variations, recovery methods and forms of GPP, etc used in the strength building and powerlifting realms.

Is there anything you tried because it was touted as a necessity that you found little value in?

This could be anything from foam rolling to speed work...

Tannhauser 07-25-2013 01:01 PM

Good thread.

The trouble is, it is so hard to unpick what works and what doesn't. As lifters, we rarely change one thing at a time to evaluate its effect. And even if we do, you still can't say for certain that a beneficial effect is the result of doing X, because you've got no control group to compare it to. Maybe you would improved without doing X as your body was going through one of its mysterious natural gaining cycles.

Anyway, my own feeling is that the following contribute almost nothing:

foam rolling (feels painful, so it must be doing something...well, not necessarily)

stretching (feels good, so it must be doing something...ditto)

fascial stretching (very little evidence that it's even possible)

aggressive sports massage (just bruises and damages tissue, IMO)

hot baths for recovery

cooldowns after aerobics (maybe I don't understand the science behind it, but it doesn't make any sort of sense to me)

chiropractic manipulations for lifters

box squats for unequipped lifters (no carryover for me)

I could go on...

Squatter 07-25-2013 01:02 PM

I'd have to say muscle confusion. I don't think I did the same lifts and even cardio for more than 4 weeks in a row in the past. I was always more worried about that than progression. Glad I had MAB to set me straight!

Tannhauser 07-25-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squatter (Post 390734)
I'd have to say muscle confusion.

Agree. That's another one that sucks.

moeheep 07-25-2013 01:08 PM

I agree with stretching and muscle confusion as both being of no value

Davis 07-25-2013 04:35 PM

Low volume, heavy weights. I do better with high volume and heavy weights. Your experience may vary.

big_swede 07-25-2013 04:54 PM

Bands and chains. Sure I do some occasional pulls v/s bands but its not magic. Straight weight works best.

Off Road 07-25-2013 05:13 PM

Trying to build the main lifts through different assistance lifts.

gaspers04 07-25-2013 05:39 PM

Well I disagree with about the majority of what has been said...lol I guess that I will leave on that note. ;)

5kgLifter 07-25-2013 05:42 PM

I have found some of the stuff that has been mentioned above beneficial in my training, maybe what doesn't work for one will work for another.