Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Deficit Deadlifts (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14203)

SecondsOut 06-29-2013 10:20 AM

Deficit Deadlifts

I have a question about deficit deadlift, and I can't find any videos from anyone reputable explaining it. I pull conventional, not sumo.

When you do deficit deadlift, do you...
  • ...start with your hips low (i.e., even lower than on regular deadlift since the bar is lower)?
  • ...start with the same set up as regular deadlift (i.e., set up as if the bar were on the same level you're standing on)? This would make your lower back do most of the work, almost like a SLDL.
  • ...just do whatever comes natural because you'll get the same benefits either way?

I did these yesterday. The 1st way felt more natural, but it also felt easier. I thought I might've been negating the purpose of the deficit. So then I did the 2nd way, but I felt like I was rounding my back, and I don't want to injure myself. So how do you do these?

Kleurplaay 06-29-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondsOut (Post 380300)
I have a question about deficit deadlift, and I can't find any videos from anyone reputable explaining it. I pull conventional, not sumo.

When you do deficit deadlift, do you...
  • ...start with your hips low (i.e., even lower than on regular deadlift since the bar is lower)?
  • ...start with the same set up as regular deadlift (i.e., set up as if the bar were on the same level you're standing on)? This would make your lower back do most of the work, almost like a SLDL.
  • ...just do whatever comes natural because you'll get the same benefits either way?

I did these yesterday. The 1st way felt more natural, but it also felt easier. I thought I might've been negating the purpose of the deficit. So then I did the 2nd way, but I felt like I was rounding my back, and I don't want to injure myself. So how do you do these?

In for answers from someone with a little more experience than me, although if I were to trust my gut I'd definitely say option one.

Soldier 06-29-2013 11:06 AM

Go with option 1, putting your hips lower. Try not to overthink it.

BendtheBar 06-29-2013 11:24 AM

I recommend setting up normally and not overthinking things. Once you have your grip, raise your hips and then sink them until you feel that quality leverage point. They might be lower than normal deadlifts.

Concentrate on pulling the bar up and back towards your body so you don't hang out over the bar, and so your hips don't start to fly up.

SecondsOut 06-29-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 380308)
raise your hips and then sink them until you feel that quality leverage point

cool, thanks, that's helpful. you put that into words really well.

1Strength 06-30-2013 12:30 PM

I'm with Steve aka BTB on this. You do Deficits to work on off-the-floor part of the leg drive. You don't need to micro-inspect this but the cue is to use your legs as much as possible so sink into it like BTB suggested.

One of things I've done in the past is to work up a Relative Max for the day and then do 4-5 sets of a variation for 2 weeks before rotating it.

Looking at my log, here's what I have:

Weeks 1 & 2: Deficit Deadlifts
Week 3: Regular Deadlifts triples and 4 rep sets after the relative max
Weeks 4 & 5: Snatch Grip Deadlifts
Week 6: Same as week 3
Weeks 7 & 8: Rack Deadlifts
Week 9: Same as Weeks 3 and 6

This is all AFTER you've worked up to your Relative Max for the day, that is. And relative max is something very close to your absolute max (the most you've actually ever lifted - not something drawn from a calculator) but it is not your absolute max. Case in point, my absolute max is 525 but my relative max at the time was 505. You work up to it for 1 rep and then you do the DL variation stuff.

I ran this once and then did something else before doing it again but the second time I ran it I had set up two Deadlift days in my training and DL variation work was solely for one day.