Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Kat trains to RAWR! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14154)

Kat 06-24-2013 09:43 PM

Kat trains to RAWR!

Been kinda hanging out/kinda lurkin'. Guess it's time to start a training log here. Honestly - I need it to keep me honest about my training. I am doing a mix of 5/3/1 and crossfit (gasp, dreaded of all beings). Hate if you want...I used to LOUDLY. I had to post an online apology to feel better about it once I found a gym that I believed in.

So here's the deal. I'm doing 5/3/1 ADJ 2x/week. OHP & Deads one day and Squats & Bench another. Sometimes I mix it up because I also crossfit 4-5x/week. In case anyone was wondering, xfit came in after lifting for me...so for me the conditioning aspect of it is OMGIHATEIT! But I've also gotten some amazing coaching, primarily in oly lifts...which is what both frustrates me and makes me want more.

Last year I did the typical girl thing....aka...I wanna get strong, no I wanna cut, no I wanna get strong...and so on repeat etc :( NEW GOAL: I WANNA BE B.A. STRONG! boom! I figure body comp will follow, especially because I eat UBER CLEAN (whole9 mostly). here's the beginning of my quest for the RAWR factor, a one day 1-RM of 3 lifts seems to be a fitting start and a great way to gauge my progress, so here goes:

So, my CF gym is hosting a charity competition to benefit Autism Speaks on July 20. We did a gym-wide max test day for the 3 lifts involved. Back squat, Strict press and Deadlift.

*Notes* I've really backed off weight on my squats the past 2 months so that I can go ATG instead of just parallel, so I don't have a true tested 1-RM to compare on BS. OHP really messed with my mind tonight for some reason. I've been doing so much push-press, -jerk that mentally going strict was harder than it should have been. I need to train this more. I think I could easily have put up another 10 lbs if my brain wasn't getting in the way :/

TOTAL WEIGHT MOVED: 490lbs
Back Squat: 175 lbs
OHP: a measly 80lbs. This went up like air, so don't know what the problem was with 85
Deadlift: 235lbs

Overall, I was pleased.

OH for reference...33yof/5ft almost 4in./129lbs

moeheep 06-25-2013 07:39 AM

welcome!!

Dray 06-25-2013 08:05 AM

Good luck with all that. :D

Heck of a combo, but if it works for you, then awesome!

Shorts 06-25-2013 08:05 AM

Welcome Kat, some great numbers you're starting out with. I absolutely loved CF when I was involved with it, so don't worry. Stick to your form and it will be a huge benefit to you.

In to follow along in your journey!

Hunterace 06-25-2013 08:20 AM

Great stuff Kat! So you finally got a new gym???:D! Smash them goals!!!

brad1224 06-25-2013 09:20 AM

welcome

kill these goal!

Kat 06-25-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moeheep (Post 378686)
welcome!!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dray (Post 378696)
Good luck with all that. :D

Heck of a combo, but if it works for you, then awesome!

It's been going pretty well so far :) I do make adjustments as necessary based on how I'm feeling. Like today - I'll be doing some conditioning instead of deads and OHP lol!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorts (Post 378697)
Welcome Kat, some great numbers you're starting out with. I absolutely loved CF when I was involved with it, so don't worry. Stick to your form and it will be a huge benefit to you.

In to follow along in your journey!

Thanks Shorts! I was skeptical when I first agreed to do some CF but I've gotta say I'm hooked. I'm happy to say that the coaches at my gym are really good and put form above everything else.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterace (Post 378706)
Great stuff Kat! So you finally got a new gym???:D! Smash them goals!!!

Hey Jay! New gym (for the most part) and no more guys offering to "spot me" when I deadlift :D

KD5NFW 06-25-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

NEW GOAL: I WANNA BE B.A. STRONG!
Pretty sure that's gonna happen!! Git it Kat :D

Kat 06-25-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad1224 (Post 378751)
welcome

kill these goal!

Thanks brad!
Quote:

Originally Posted by KD5NFW (Post 378797)
Pretty sure that's gonna happen!! Git it Kat :D

I hope so :D The new shoe-sies come in tomorrow if fedex is right...so stoked....ready for some c&js and snatches!

Kat 06-25-2013 10:41 PM

Recovery....woah!

HOLY YOU-KNOW-WHAT! I knew that yesterday would be taxing but I was WRECKED today! OMG. I planned on running a conditioning workout today, but my body said nowayjose!

So, I did an easy 2 mile walk and some mobility work with my voodoo-x bands - i LOVE those things. I also took an epsom salt bath - HEAVEN!

I'm hoping to have my adipowers tomorrow (a day early) if I do, I'll probably do some clean & jerks. Aside from that snatches are up for tomorrow along with wall balls and my fav, KB swings. :)

Might do some more mobility stuff before bed - why do my elbows hurt...lol?!