Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Please post some sample routines (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13795)

tracker 05-23-2013 03:05 PM

Please post some sample routines

I have no idea really what I am doing. Could you post some samples for me such as what you would do on a back and shoulders day versus a leg day? I assume many of you divide your days like this?

big_swede 05-23-2013 03:15 PM

If youre completely new to lifting I would reccomend something like starting strength.

Here is the The Original Starting Strength Novice Program, you alternate between A and B and rest every other day or after 2 days depending on how you feel. 3-4 sessions a week.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power cleans

As you can see there is no "back day" or "leg day" but instead this program hits the entire body on all training days, this forces the whole body into growth and is much faster and more effective than a body part split for a beginner lifter.

Good luck and dont forget to eat alot.

Squatter 05-23-2013 03:32 PM

Great advice I'd go with from Swede.

I would just add to start a journal to hold yourself accountable, eat big like he said already, get good sleep, work hard, and learn the proper form. Progression is key. Also, learn to listen to your body.

Good luck on your journey Tracker!

big_swede 05-23-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squatter (Post 366829)
Great advice I'd go with from Swede.

I would just add to start a journal to hold yourself accountable, eat big like he said already, get good sleep, work hard, and learn the proper form. Progression is key. Also, learn to listen to your body.

Good luck on your journey Tracker!

Good points Jim!

Also, after a while (maybe 6 months?) when you are starting to get bored with the simplicity of starting strength, there is nothing wrong with changeing things up and experiment even if youre gaining on SS.

Off Road 05-23-2013 04:20 PM

Great advice by Swede and Squatter. However, even before using Starting Strength, I'd make sure I could complete some basic body weight exercise goals and have a basic level of conditioning. Can you do 30 solid push-ups? Can you do 50 below parallel body squats? Can you do at least 5 chin-ups or 20 Fat-Man Pull-ups? Can you run (10) 40 yard sprints without completely gassing-out? If not, you can spend the next month getting this stuff sorted out while you investigate weight lifting routines and eating requirements. The fitness and strength gained with be an excellent start to your foundation as you enter the gym.

Squatter 05-23-2013 04:26 PM

Damn it anyway OR - I better get busy with some conditioning as I am not sure I could do that, with the exception of the squats tho!:)

Off Road 05-23-2013 04:47 PM

Better get started :)

deadliftpete 05-24-2013 01:35 PM

Great advice given. I am sure that you have learned quite a bit already. I suggest you follow the program above as well, and make sure to that you eat enough. When I first started I did not eat like I should have, but I have since learned that I can stuff my face with more goodness.