Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Cardio and lifting (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13787)

tracker 05-22-2013 06:58 PM

Cardio and lifting

I am just going to start lifting. I am not looking to lose any weight, but rather put on some muscle and get bigger. Should I also be doing cardio? Or just skip it and do mainly lifting?

MikeM 05-22-2013 08:48 PM

That's a complex question. It really depends on your goals and your definition of bigger, stronger, and cardio. All of those terms mean different things to different people. It also depends on your starting point. If you are thin and literally just starting to lift, that's different than someone medium sized who is been lifting aimlessly for a while, etc.

So, a little more specifics about yourself and your goals would be helpful in determining a more precise answer to your question.

In general, if you just want to get "bigger and stronger", than no, you don't "need" any cardio. However some conditioning will help you get stronger more efficiently, so some types of "cardio" would be beneficial.

Off Road 05-22-2013 09:45 PM

A decent level of conditioning will keep you healthy, which in turn helps with using calories more efficiently and allowing recovery between and during workouts. Just make sure not to over do it. Usually a couple of sessions a week of about 20 minutes each is enough to maintain a healthy fitness level without interfering with strength and muscle gains.

lightning89 05-27-2013 11:20 AM

I feel that you need it. Even if you dont want to lose weight or are not overweight, cardio is good for the body. A few times a week should be good.

hobbz 05-27-2013 12:49 PM

You can still do some cardio. I feel that it is important. But that is just me. I like to get active with my kids and wife though so I spend a lot of time with sports and such. I get cardio that way.

big_swede 05-27-2013 01:29 PM

All physical activity is good, just eat enough!

Epinephrine 05-27-2013 02:39 PM

Cardiovascular health is EXTREMELY important. I'd make sure to do cardio on all of your off days, or at least before you lift. It's also a very good way to keep body fat at bay while eating to get hooge.

sistacatty 05-27-2013 05:17 PM

I agree that cardio is very important. Some have to do it to lose weight but it keeps your heart strong as well and just makes you feel better. I suggest doing it.

Boom 05-27-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epinephrine (Post 368163)
Cardiovascular health is EXTREMELY important. I'd make sure to do cardio on all of your off days, or at least before you lift. It's also a very good way to keep body fat at bay while eating to get hooge.

Why before lifting? Wouldn't that tire him out?

kitarpyar 05-27-2013 06:14 PM

Moderate amount of cardio never hurts. On a side note, cardio doesnt have to be running or biking all the time. Anything that keeps you moving at a brisk pace from which you might derive enjoyment will work. That could well be running, or basketball or soccer.