Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Abercrombie & Fitch Gets a Brand Readjustment (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13710)

JTurner 05-15-2013 07:43 AM

Abercrombie & Fitch Gets a Brand Readjustment

No idea of the brand other than a lot of tools seem to walk in that shop but I quite liked this story/campaign.

http://mashable.com/2013/05/15/fitch...itch-homeless/

Quote:

An online campaign is attempting to "rebrand" Abercrombie & Fitch by donating its clothes to the homeless, after an author alleged that company CEO Mike Jeffries "doesn't want larger people shopping in his store."

5kgLifter 05-15-2013 07:53 AM

Hahaha, good for him!

LtL 05-15-2013 07:55 AM

Haha that is awesome.

Soldier 05-15-2013 07:57 AM

I can't believe there's been such a backlash from what that guy said. As a private company, they don't feel like selling larger sized clothes. That's their choice, and people have a choice to shop there or not. They've NEVER carried larger sizes, so why is this news all of the sudden?

People love freedom until it makes them uncomfortable. Bullshit.

5kgLifter 05-15-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 363605)
I can't believe there's been such a backlash from what that guy said. As a private company, they don't feel like selling larger sized clothes. That's their choice, and people have a choice to shop there or not. They've NEVER carried larger sizes, so why is this news all of the sudden?

There was also a statement that they'd rather burn clothes than give them to homeless people, so it's not all about the size issue...it's more a case of they want a certain "category" of people wearing and therefore representing their clothing/range; I find that odd.

JTurner 05-15-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 363605)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 363609)
There was also a statement that they'd rather burn clothes than give them to homeless people, so it's not all about the size issue...it's more a case of they want a certain "category" of people wearing and therefore representing their clothing/range; I find that odd.

Ye I was posting more for the homeless and the we only want popular kids viewpoints, that's the main theme of the video.

Bill 05-15-2013 08:53 AM

who cares if they want a certain category of people to wear their clothes...that's their niche.

Lamborghini doesn't want us to drive their cars, that's why they don't cost $30k.

Soldier 05-15-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 363609)

I don't find it odd. Branding is a huge part of marketing. You want to create an idea in people's head that a certain product makes them like someone they want to be like if they use it. It's why Gibson and Fender give free guitars to rock stars. It's why Red Bull and Monster sponsor extreme sports. Branding is the reason you ask for a Kleenex or a Bandaid instead of a tissue or a bandage.

When I was in middle school the cool kids were the skaters. We all desperately wanted to wear the same clothes and shoes they wore because that's who we wanted to be. Funny, turns out most of the people I wanted to be like in middle school also peaked in middle school. I don't even want to know what menial jobs they have now, if they have jobs at all.

Soldier 05-15-2013 09:01 AM

Thing is, you're not supposed to TELL people you're tricking them into buying your product. Not really sure why he went and did that.

5kgLifter 05-15-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 363655)
I don't find it odd. Branding is a huge part of marketing. You want to create an idea in people's head that a certain product makes them like someone they want to be like if they use it. It's why Gibson and Fender give free guitars to rock stars. It's why Red Bull and Monster sponsor extreme sports. Branding is the reason you ask for a Kleenex or a Bandaid instead of a tissue or a bandage.

When I was in middle school the cool kids were the skaters. We all desperately wanted to wear the same clothes and shoes they wore because that's who we wanted to be. Funny, turns out most of the people I wanted to be like in middle school also peaked in middle school. I don't even want to know what menial jobs they have now, if they have jobs at all.

I fully understand the branding part, it's the "rather burn it than have someone wear it" part that I don't get...not that I need an explanation, I just don't get his mentality on that.

And yes, you're right, he should have kept his trap shut.