Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ultimate supplements thread. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339)

thumpinos 11-30-2009 10:37 AM

Ultimate supplements thread.

I thought I would start a thread on what supplements are worthy of your time and why. I'm not talking specific brands. I just want to know what supplements you feel are decent and worth spending money on.

Feel free to debate and comment.

I will start with creatine and multivitamins.

I don't care about the pumps with creatine. Creatine does give a slight performance edge, and I can notice strength gains on it.

Multivitamins are multiviatmins. What more can I say?

RickB 11-30-2009 11:01 AM

Protein. Getting it through real food is better, but Protein supplements are great for those on the go and just to get a little more in your system.

glwanabe 11-30-2009 11:15 AM

I don't take much, but I like what I do use.

Body fortress whey, with creatine
multi-vitamin
fish oil
dessicated liver

Food

BendtheBar 11-30-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB (Post 12677)
Protein. Getting it through real food is better, but Protein supplements are great for those on the go and just to get a little more in your system.

Protein.

Score one for Rick. The older I get, the more life is "on the go."

BendtheBar 11-30-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 12679)
I don't take much, but I like what I do use.

Body fortress whey, with creatine
multi-vitamin
fish oil
dessicated liver

Food

Fish Oil.

Very good addition. Many of us to not get enough quality healthy fats.

Could you enlighten us to the use and benefits of dessicated liver? I'm a little under-schooled on this subject...

glwanabe 11-30-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 12682)
Fish Oil.

Very good addition. Many of us to not get enough quality healthy fats.

Could you enlighten us to the use and benefits of dessicated liver? I'm a little under-schooled on this subject...

Of course,

Review: Desiccated Liver Tablets - IronOnline Weight Training Forum

What I have found since I began taking it is that my energy is better. I don't feel like the walking zombie that I used to feel like with my current work schedule. I'm on my first tub of tablets, and generally take 3 at each meal. That is a total of about 15 tablets a day.

Besides being rich in iron, they are loaded with amino acids. I plan to keep taking it for the forseeable future.

Grim83 11-30-2009 12:07 PM

The good- protein powder, creatine, glutamine, bcaa/eaa, fish oil, multivitamins, arginine....

the bad- almost every thing not listed in the first and last sections

the ugly- go look at biotest/muscle tech's line of supps, you'll find plenty

BendtheBar 11-30-2009 12:08 PM

Thanks Bubba.

Quote:

What's In It?
=========

Well, umm liver.

Protein: 60-80%.

Vitamins: A, B-complex (B-1, B-2, B-6, B-12, choline, inositol, biotine, niacin, pantothenic acid, folic acid, PABA), C, D, E, K, lipotropics choline & inositol.

Minerals: calcium, chromium, copper, heme iron, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, & zinc.

Amino acids: alanine, arginine, aspartic acid, cysteine, cystine, glutamic acid, glycine, histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, proline, serine, threonine, tyrosine, tryptophan, valine

According to Vince Gironda, the "Iron Guru", in addition to these known nutrients, there are substances present in liver that have a beneficial effect on health, fitness, and endurance -- such as cytochrome P-450 (more about this later) and others yet to be identified. He said that desiccated liver contains nucleic acids for proper amino acid utilization, a growth factor, and an anti-estrogen factor, which keeps testosterone levels high, and it is also a great anti-toxin.

JesseA 11-30-2009 01:02 PM

I stopped taking creatine for the last few weeks. I have not really noticed any difference. I will probably wait a few more weeks and add it back in to see if there is any worthiness to it. I know it's one of those 'proven' supplements, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what it's proven for. a big pump? muscle building? recovery? The more I learn about it the less I see it as a required supplement.

disclaimer: I am only looking to add muscle and strength. I don't care about vascularity or a pump while lifting. (unless of course those make you stronger?).

BendtheBar 11-30-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim83 (Post 12696)
The good- protein powder, creatine, glutamine, bcaa/eaa, fish oil, multivitamins, arginine....

the bad- almost every thing not listed in the first and last sections

the ugly- go look at biotest/muscle tech's line of supps, you'll find plenty

Good suggestions. We haven't even touched the PCT supps yet.